Flash AS3 - Dialog Box (Returns Full File Path)

masterjake

Reaction score
I'm assuming this thread goes here.

Anyway, I've been searching this for a while now. I need to create an Open Dialog Box in flash using Action Script 3 that when the user opens the file, it returns the full file path and name.

I tried FileReference but it can only return the name through FileReference.name (as far as I know).

I need the full path because I'm going to take the path returned and use it to load an external image onto the stage. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
According to kirupa, OpenFileDialog's FileName property contains the full path. If that doesn't work, you could always inspect the dialog in a debugger.

In Flash AS3, File's nativePath and browseForOpen() look promising.

Last edited:

masterjake

Reaction score
According to kirupa, OpenFileDialog's FileName property contains the full path. If that doesn't work, you could always inspect the dialog in a debugger.

In Flash AS3, File's nativePath and browseForOpen() look promising.

Thanks, but the nativePath and browseForOpen() are for Adobe AIR only and not just regular Flash CS3 with AS3 (which is what I need).

The kirupa one doesn't even look like Flash at all :/

patmanbofh

Reaction score
Hi there!

The following URL contains a sample AS3 script that allows the user to select a JPG file from their local filesystem and then loads it onto the stage using the loader and bitmap objects.

http://flexgraphix.com/blog/?p=51

At no point can you reference the file location explicitly (this is by design apparantly) but it would appear to meet your requirements:

I need the full path because I'm going to take the path returned and use it to load an external image onto the stage. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

The Zip file contains the FLA/SWF/AS/JPG files, although the FLA is a CS4 project!

Hope this helps!