Free Hosting can be slow sometimes

Superbowlbuc

Reaction score
I just signed up, and installed a message board, and noticed that the host will go down temmporarily for like 10 seconds every once in a while. I know you guys show that you have 99.9 percent up time, so I am assuming this is a temporary thing since I noticed that you did some upgrades. Am I assuming correctly, or is this always a problem. Other than that, the hosting is great.

Thewinator

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem for quite a while now.
I would like to know whats going on.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
I don't have this problem, What server are you hosted on? I'm on Stoli. Its perfectly up for me. No downtime at all.

Thewinator

Reaction score
I'm on 'absolut'. Is it just this server then? If so then can I have my site transfered to another server?

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Haha, Know what I just noticed? The server names are Names of Vodkas. I have a liquor store, and Absolute and Stoli are vodkas haha..

QuwenQ

Reaction score
I'm on 'absolut'. Is it just this server then? If so then can I have my site transfered to another server?
Absolut tends to be rather unstable sometimes, simply because it's Ad-free and x10 doesn't really give it a lot of priority because, of course, they make nothing off it. I'm on Stoli and I haven't been down once.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Your site is loading fine for me; What are you doing when your disconnected?

Thewinator

Reaction score
Eh loading the page.
Sometimes it loads instantly, but somtimes it just takes upto 20 seconds or even get timeouts.

Superbowlbuc

Reaction score
Eh loading the page.
Sometimes it loads instantly, but somtimes it just takes upto 20 seconds or even get timeouts.
Exactly the same for me. I'm on absolut.

I really don't want to switch hosts because I set up the board already, and other than that, it's the only service I could actually get my IPB 1.3 to work with. Otherwise I'll have to use SMF or some other software which I don't want.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's hard to fix the problem when I can't see it.

Every time I've checked today the server load has been decent. It could just be that it is a peak time and on the weekend, a lot of people are doing things on their sites. There isn't too much we can do if it's not a persistent problem.

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm watching it now, the load on absolut has been staying between 2-3 which is perfectly fine for a quad core, I will continue you to monitor it for the next hour and I will load your site every 10 minutes to see if it is slow for me.

-Corey

Superbowlbuc

Reaction score
Thanks man... I was checking the load count when it was slow, and it was hitting 1.92... Not sure what that means if it's good or bad, but just letting you know. It's just really weird because it will either be blazing fast, or really slow.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't ran into any issues so far, I'll keep an eye on it until I go to bed.

With a quad core anything less then <6 is fine. Ideally it should stay under 3.

-Corey

Superbowlbuc

Reaction score
What may cause it to just time out? I'm wondering if it's something I have in my board files. (I don't think so because it's just IPB 1.3)

kirkesp

Reaction score
I'm satisfied with the service. I've seen other free hosts go down for weeks at a time and say nothing in their forums regarding the issue, either as warning or response. Even if this host did have an elongated downtime on their servers at some point (and a mere 10 seconds doesn't come close to what I mean by "elongated downtime"), I'm pretty sure we'd at least get some kind of explanation. Communication is key, and, from what I've seen, this host seems to maintain communication with its clients pretty well.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what would cause it to time out like that. I'm going to revamp the firewall rules tomorrow since so many people have been getting blocked. The only thing I could think is it's dropping your connection at the firewall level for some reason.

Josh1billion

Reaction score
I've noticed a similar slowdown on my website as well. At times (seems about half the time), there'll be points where every minute or two, there will be a 10 second slowdown. It's understandable for a free host, though, so I'm not complaining bout it.

Nikolasr

Reaction score
I don't have this problem but i have with my subdomains why it's not woriking?