Free Hosting can be slow sometimes

sunyan

Reaction score
I believe that the slowness is caused by server load.
I am hosting on absolute too.
Whenever sites load slowly, I noticed that in my account management page, the server load is particularly high. (Shows a red light)

Note that the last time I checked the load, it was up to more than 20.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What I've noticed, that Stoli has a server load at 1.32 at 2 pm gmt+1 but when it turns to 7 - 8 pm gmt+1 the server load is for me 10 - 20 and my site gets really slow. But I don't really care since we (JAGF) aren't such a big community.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of this is caused by abusive acocunts, we're working out some ways to cut down on this along with hopefully hiring some new staff members.

It's hard to keep track of 400 new accounts per day.

We also have some maintenance planned on all the servers which will speed it up. I've started it on Stoli\Cossacks already.

-Corey

kirkesp

Reaction score
For what, exactly, are you looking for new staff members to do? If you don't mind me asking.

BlueIce

Reaction score
What I've noticed, that Stoli has a server load at 1.32 at 2 pm gmt+1 but when it turns to 7 - 8 pm gmt+1 the server load is for me 10 - 20 and my site gets really slow. But I don't really care since we (JAGF) aren't such a big community.

I have noticed this as well, but page loads are not too affected. Probably because I don't have many active members on my site.

Flashgear

Reaction score
I don't normally have these problems. You cannot expect it to be super fast because they get alot of signups on the ad-free server and are constantly trying to delete alot of them.

If you want it faster then try going on an ad-enhanced plan.

blackpsycho

Reaction score
aha that would explain why my account is inaccessible at some points iv'e noticed parts of the server going down every now and again... aswell it is about 2pm EST and at this time everyday the load seems to hit like 5-6 and turns red instead of green. problem i had today was when it decided to lose my connection i was ftping about 300 files onto my site and it stopped half way through.. thank god when filezilla loses connection it stops transferring and will continue from where it left off.
Edit:
aha that would explain why my account is inaccessible at some points iv'e noticed parts of the server going down every now and again... aswell it is about 2pm EST and at this time everyday the load seems to hit like 5-6 and turns red instead of green. problem i had today was when it decided to lose my connection i was ftping about 300 files onto my site and it stopped half way through.. thank god when filezilla loses connection it stops transferring and will continue from where it left off.
yup now i just went to check the server status again.. and load is over 8 now. just goes to show how great there hosting is when theres that many people using it!
Edit:
I don't normally have these problems. You cannot expect it to be super fast because they get alot of signups on the ad-free server and are constantly trying to delete alot of them.

If you want it faster then try going on an ad-enhanced plan.
i'm on the lower level ad plan with just the text.. i've run outta ftps and might need some more so i might change to the banner ad one.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
OMG! Pure slowness on stoli right now. The cpanel hasn't even loaded after 10 min. It's like a cold. Sticky slime thats slow down everything.

Last edited:

blackpsycho

Reaction score
OMG! Pure slowness on stoli right now. The cpanel hasn't even loaded after 10 min
ya thats what i just said i can't access anything right now.
Edit:
haha stoli server load is over 50 now.. and i thought 8 was bad.... the dot is also red.. is the server down???

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It isn't down. It just slow as usuall. Corey, If I had much money, I had bought some better servers for you ;)

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Stoli is going to be slow for a bit because of the maintenance. There are 3,000 accounts that need to be removed and that is what it is doing and has been doing on and off for the past few days.

The server itself is very under used, just that there were a ton of people abusing the space (2.5 Gigs per account) and it takes quite a while for it to remove these causing the high load.

There isn't much I can do to keep the load down right now since these accounts have to be removed. I'm going to stop the script and restart it around or after midnight tonight when there are less people on. Maybe it won't cause such an issue then.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
oh no problem. I thought that maintaince only was on monday. I feeling angry because that much ppl abuse their accounts :mad:. I would call them spammers or n00bs that don't know what they are signing up for.