[Game Programming] Highlander

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
o_O can I help in someway too? I am already in another game project at http://towerdefence.net as graphics designer for a new Flash TD game so maybe I can help here too with something.

My knowledge:

HTML, CSS, Learning PHP, Basic photoshop editing (like that sigchat theme down there)

Last edited:
T

themasterrocker

Yeah okay. ill add you to our list. We have lead graphics designer called Icedevil, im sure he'll give you more instructions. You need to PM me your contact details such as msn address, Talents etc...

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
http://highlanderdev.x10hosting.com is now up and running. I am still creating the external pages, but other than that....

Implements Thickbox
working on shout box. (sry neal, no yShout)
more, more, more!

T

themasterrocker

Leafypiggy, im afraid you got a few problems to solve yet mate.....
If you come on msn ill tell you whats wrong so far.

sadm1r

Reaction score
add all in the group on msn guys so we can contact easier, shoutbox isn't really needed.

T

themasterrocker

Shoutbox is there for comments and people to question me and Hellsheep (who are going to moderate it) so the shoutbox is needed. I will eventually add everyone but we will need everyone on at one time so then we can have all of us in a join msn conversation

intertec

Reaction score
Hey. I quickly made this before. I can make it better but I was just showing use what it looks like!

Attachments

• Highlander.gif
    Highlander.gif
    101.4 KB · Views: 44

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would just like to remind both intertec and themasterrocker that the use of an account falls upon one person, 2 people are not allowed to have access to an account, that is a violation of the ToS, so you might want to discuss a new way of getting it done, maybe do it offline and then get themasterrocker to upload it.

intertec

Reaction score
Yeah. thanks for reminding me. I will make the things he wants and email to him and he can upload it!

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would just like to remind both intertec and themasterrocker that the use of an account falls upon one person, 2 people are not allowed to have access to an account, that is a violation of the ToS, so you might want to discuss a new way of getting it done, maybe do it offline and then get themasterrocker to upload it.

I belive you can give FTP access to anyone you trust as long as it isn't to the rootfolder (with another FTP account). That is what I have been told.

intertec

Reaction score
Can someone check this issue up quickly so we can start the project with easier matters so we don't have to be thinking of getting banned!

sadm1r

Reaction score
can you give us some tasks so we can start doing something right now?

P.S. what kind of genre should it really look like? RPG? online RPG? just asking for some more detailed info on how the game should be look like.

T

themasterrocker

Yeah, thanks for the reminder Hellsheep :D
Ill get that image uploaded... I need to talk to leafypiggy as well because he has FTP access as well as I do (I have the main FTP account)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
this is bull****. you are allowed to share a cPanel account. I cannot find the post, but about 6 months ago, a group of people posted in the Pre-Signup Questions forum. They asked if they could either have more than one login to the account, or to share the cPanel account, because they were all working on the site. Someone replied:

"UnFortunatly, you cannot have more than one login for your account, but you CAN share your account, as long as you trust all the people using it."

im not taking that word-for-word, but that is basicly what they said.

I am going to keep trying to find the thread, but in the meantime, I am going to make a post asking corey about it.

T

themasterrocker

You can't PM Corey remember, He'll ban you so make a ticket.

icedevil

Reaction score
EVERYONE PLZ PLZ READ!
Sorry, i've been absent for so long.., had exams all last week...
Everybody in graphics department, add me on msn (ask if you dont know mine)
Ok, so lets get started! :)
1. Everybody watch the movie highlander.
2. We are supposed to choose the time period in which the game will be(16th century or today). I would advise to make it in the middle ages, since the topic is very popular, and makes my job easyer :).
3. We need to choose what type of rpg is it gonna be (more like WoW (opposing races), or like LOTRO (everybody pays contribution to main questline))
4. We need to edit timeline, what quests there will be, classes, jobs, proffesions, vacations, skills, and races :)
5.Programmers go one way, 3d animators another, as for me, i have to get out of town for 3 weeks, however, I will keep working on part, drawing concept art etc...
6.(For animators) I'll give you basic scetches, plans for work, to make 3d models.
7. As soon the quest line and skills are dne, we will start on the animation, and our part is finished :)

konekt

Reaction score
I'll throw in a word or two to anyone wanting to work on the programming.

The preliminary question we need to ask ourselves is what base are we starting from. Do we prefer Java development or your regular C++? Java will, in my mind, be tons easier (think Runescape) but C++ offers a lot more in terms of control and sophistication (think AO).

How will we partition jobs? How many people do we have? Can we even do it in terms of experience and knowledge?

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Okay leafypiggy, i will explain one thing, if you read the terms of service it says "You and ONLY you are to login to cpanel" or something along those lines, there is no exception to that rule, so the only other way is an FTP account, or send everything via email and have themasterrocker upload it.

Icedevil, i am 100% in favor of those ideas that we need to come up with first, now i think that i will add everyone on a new msn address, and talk to them on that, i will see what happens with getting together and working as a team, as for any ideas or anything you wish to know, EMAIL ME ANYTIME i don't care when, i will always reply if i have the time, if not... i will get back to you later.

KoneKT, there may be some java parts of the game, but i am thinking more C++, DirectX sort of stuff, 3D MMORPG similar to WoW style of graphics etc.

It will be a VERY big project, so i don't expect anyone to stay here, but i do recommend if you want to leave, do it now...For some of us, including me, this will be a big learning experience. Learning new programming languages, new style of graphics art and work etc..

It will probably be quite a while until we have a playable part of the game, we will need to come up with all the idea first, and get our positions set OUT RIGHT.

Now, i would like everyone to email me, hellsheep.iv(at)gmail(dot)com

In an email, please let me know what position you are interested in, we are looking for programmers, graphics artists (website and client, 2d & 3d), 3D graphics Artists (Mostly in-game content etc..),Web designers, and so much more, i have not listed everything i can think of, but you should know what you are good at, for programmers you will need to know C++ fairly decent maybe OpenGL, DirectX a bit of Java etc, any of those will do, if you don't know any but wish to be a part of the programming team, let me know that you want to, and start learning the languages you like to use.

So email me the details of name, position, any other stuff you think is relevant, also i need people to start coming up with ideas for the game, storylines that are very similar to the movies, so watch the movies if you haven't got them, we need to probably come up with all the ideas before starting the game coding and graphics, although the graphics can start getting done with the characters etc. Because there are a few things like weapons and that, that we know we will need..

If you have any questions, email me.

Last edited: