Getting Annoyed

QuwenQ

Reaction score
I really think Corey should implement a system where if you whine and complain, you get an auto suspend for 'x' amount of days. I'm tired of people coming here, creating a new account, and expecting A+ PREMIUM service that is provided to PAID customers.

If you don't like it, there is one way for you to go; that's the door. Go back to geocities or anglefire if you want guaranteed uptime. I, on the other hand, welcome the outages because it's only going to benefit us in the long run.
Seconded!

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I don't want to 'third' it. Sure there will always be some who always whine and complain. It is in their nature. You can't help it.

FCSUtah

Reaction score
I may have come off harsh, but I don't get how some of these people act like X10 owes THEM something. Newsflash is that they're providing these free service (almost like a public service) and ask nothing in return but an ad placed on your site.

The reason the servers are going down is due to an upgrade (benefit to us) and now Corey is tweaking out bugs that are actually common in apache (again, benefits us as we won't have this problem later down the line).

I think people just need to eat a slice of humble pie and relax. Corey is doing a wonderful job with such a hard bug that is Apache driven. That isn't even mentioning that the server reached 100% capacity yesterday so Corey has had to 'trim the fat' if you will. He is having to remove inactive accounts, which as he said "account for about 60-70% of the server.

I just hope you understand a little of what's going on, so that you may understand that for being a free service, you are getting 'A' quality service. There are many hours spent on Corey's part trying to get things optimal.

Last edited:

mikebro

Reaction score
I'm grateful for all that Corey and his staff do. I'm grateful for all of their customers who appreciate all that Corey and his staff do. X10Hosting has given me exactly what I wanted at a price I can afford. The hosting is free, I'm expected and allowed to be a responsible member of the community, and I get to participate in what seems to be a great learning experience for all of us.

I hope the OP will seek to have as good an experience as I have had so far.

Thanks, x10Hosting. :drool:

cooljais

Reaction score
it maybe irritating but atleast you have something. Learn to respect what you get.

conceptye

Reaction score
I do think that x10 provide a great service since they make nothing out if it, but I also think that advertising the uptime as 99.99% could be considered slightly misleading. Nevertheless, thanks Corey and all other staff.

FCSUtah

Reaction score
See but the thing is, they *possibly* had a 99.9% uptime before the server upgrade (which occurred sometime in the past weeks). Whenever a server is upgraded bugs are bound to occur. That is why paid hosting places have the resources to do staggered upgrades so not to have any downtime.

That unfortunately requires a LOT of resources (let's see Corey has 3 free servers, so that would require him to have 6 servers dedicated toward this project.... that's ludicrous!)

Nonetheless, they're doing a wonderful job and I applaud his efforts.

Nackster

Reaction score
The most annoying thing is that your account get suspended. I mean comeon. If you are hosting a community site (that does not take people's money) and you didn't login to the forum for more than 2 weeks due to a trip to somewhere you bassically get suspended. I think the admin should change this so you don't really require to login to forum...

QuwenQ

Reaction score
The most annoying thing is that your account get suspended. I mean comeon. If you are hosting a community site (that does not take people's money) and you didn't login to the forum for more than 2 weeks due to a trip to somewhere you bassically get suspended. I think the admin should change this so you don't really require to login to forum...
This has been discussed so many times that even bringing up this beaten subject up again should be merit for a suspension itself.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Uh =/ Actually, I think that this thread has turned into a "support X10" thread. If you put complaints here, people will get the wrong idea.

~~B3N

ajabeytia

Reaction score
i would bash you for this post but others have already... Your getting a "free" web host why not "PAY" for it so you have something to complain about. This is the best free host I have EVER been with dude my site goes down all the time your not the only one. but when something major happens there on top of it right away. and when my site is down its never down for more then 10mins. So dont get annoyed unless your having a major problem and no one is helpping you out with what could be a problem with your own site.
While I do know that yes if you want your site up and running 99.9% of the time then pay for it, I also do agree with this guy that it is annoying to have your site down every few mins. I'll bet it's because too many users are running softwares like vBulletin. I've ran sites using that software before and let me tell ya it takes a lot. Anyways I think it is a little deceptive to put "Server uptime 99.9% of the time". But hey, it was free wasen't it?

knightcon

Reaction score
Ok guy's we need to really think about this. Firstly as has been said time and time and time again, Corey isn't making money off this, in fact if you search the forums (which you should be doing anyway) you would know that Corey only started to break even not that long ago. Before that he was loosing money attempting this and I for one an quite happy with the service I am receiving. Also as Meerkat Mistress pointed out the topic of if you don't visit the forums in two weeks your account gets suspended has been discussed at length, and from every conceivable view point by not only everyone on these forums that choose to have a winge about a free service but also by Corey and the other staff. For those people who choose just to make a new post for the hell of it instead of checking to see if the topic has already been addressed, the two week rule was made because important information about the service, like uptime and upgrades of the various servers, which is the biggest issue that has been raised in this topic, is posted in the forums, as well as the fact that the forums are meant as a community to assist other members of x10. I for one am really getting tired of hearing people bashing Corey and the other staff, the do a remarkable job given their limited resources. If they ran a multi-million dollar web hosting company and charged you a few hundred dollars a year (which is the average) then you may have a right to complain about the service being down, but they don't have that capability so don't ***** and moan about it unless your willing to do something. If you have a few thousand dollars spare go out, buy yourself a server, fixed ip address, high speed internet connection, and a domain name and host your own damn server.

PS: This rant is not for anyone who does the right thing on this site. I know that there are a great many people on these forums who support Corey and the job he is doing with the servers.

rlodge

Reaction score
Oh I don't know......HTTP went down on me three or four times tonight and ya know what?

I don't care. Gave me a chance to take a break, get a beer and stretch.

As for the login to the forum. Doesn't seem too hard to me. If that's all I've got to do, I'll do it. I'm not sure if this would be frowned upon or not but, see if you can have a friend do it while you're gone.

mr kennedy

Reaction score
Oh I don't know......HTTP went down on me three or four times tonight and ya know what?

I don't care. Gave me a chance to take a break, get a beer and stretch.

As for the login to the forum. Doesn't seem too hard to me. If that's all I've got to do, I'll do it. I'm not sure if this would be frowned upon or not but, see if you can have a friend do it while you're gone.

now there's an idea! get yourself a six-pack and take a break!

Jambone

Reaction score
I think you meant uptime instead of downtime ;)

Haha, oops :lol:

Look, I didn't mean to say that this hosting was crap, I was just saying that I thought that was a false claim about the uptime, I would recommend this site to anyone, Corey does a great job, it was just my honest opinion...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure every subject was touched upon in this thread. ;)

1.) We did previously had 99% uptime before this mess with upgrades and such. I can put a little asterix next to it and put a note at the bottom and say it only applies to paid hosting if that will be better.

2.) As already said, the 2 week login rule is here to stay, if you want to argue about it just go through the feedback forum already and read the reasons WHY and how it benefits you that we have it. It's all been said before.

3.) Everyone has the right to complain here, just do it in a constructive way. I'm very open to criticism of our services, as long as it's constructive.

4.) We've been making great progress with the server clean-ups and upgrades. After everything is done all will be back to normal and running fine. If you absolutely can't stand it, take a break for a few weeks and come back when we're finished.

5.) I'd recommend anyone who does not understand what we're doing to install Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc... on their computer, create 4,000-6,000 accounts then try to upgrade it while keeping everything running smoothly. :)

-Corey