Good content manager?

Nitelily

Reaction score
I'm looking to host a website for a major addon for the game World of Warcraft and I need a content manager to do so. I need a site where I can post regular updates and info, FAQs, guides for installing and such, download links, etc, and also have an area where guests can post feature requests, feedback and bug reports.

I got the idea to use a forum but that seems like overkill. It just doesn't seem like the right setup for my needs.

If anyone could recommend a good, free content manager that'll help here, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

duckyinc

Reaction score
I recommend Joomla, it's free and has alot of addons like faq, downloads ect go try it out. joomla.org the addons are in the extensions section

t2t2t

Reaction score
CMS Made Simple
Name says everything
It is more meant for sites with loads of pages unlike Joomla (News have separate module, Joomla main focus is mainly about news.)

(I just have to ditch competitors ;))

Simie

PHP PRO
Reaction score
CMS Made Simple
Name says everything
It is more meant for sites with loads of pages unlike Joomla (News have separate module, Joomla main focus is mainly about news.)

(I just have to ditch competitors ;))

Actually, when you get to know Joomla!, it is much better and easier to use that CMSMS :)

Last edited:

Cubeform

Reaction score
Drupal. Hands down.

Drupal rules, although it does have a slightly steeper learning curve compared to CMSs like Joomla. However, that's only because Drupal's very powerful and very flexible (in my opinion).

KowKing

Reaction score
a) You never used it.*
b) This one doesn't need you to manually put pages in, it creates menus by itself.
c) You never used it.*

* - Well, not as much as joomla...

Are those acquisitions true, are you attempting to play politics and switch his opinion with bias remarks?

t2t2t

Reaction score
Are those acquisitions true, are you attempting to play politics and switch his opinion with bias remarks?
:hahano: Of course there true, he didn't know about cmsms till i started using it and not seen admin panel [probably] before i made account for him. (Whats best/worst, he had domain for site)

Archkronos

Reaction score
MODx. You know you want to. Its in my opinion one of the best documented, easiest to theme, simple yet flexable and extendable Managment systems available.

And the learning curve is minimal thanks to a really intutive interface.

http://modxcms.com

jensen

Reaction score
Whether Joomla or Drupal or any other CMS, all takes time to learn. While some may be easier than others, it all falls back on what you want it for. Based on what was mentioned in the requirements, almost any of the CMS mentioned and suggested can get the job done. While Joomla has more free components and modules and add-ons, Drupal has more flexibility to change the layout using blocks.

Am advocating Drupal.

Yeah MODx is really cool but it is more of a framework than merely a CMS.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
How about one that would link a multi-functional site ( I plan to have a multi-user blog, web hosting and domain registration ) ...

Archkronos

Reaction score
How about one that would link a multi-functional site ( I plan to have a multi-user blog, web hosting and domain registration ) ...

By multiuser, do you mean like at WordPress.com?

Whether Joomla or Drupal or any other CMS, all takes time to learn. While some may be easier than others, it all falls back on what you want it for. Based on what was mentioned in the requirements, almost any of the CMS mentioned and suggested can get the job done. While Joomla has more free components and modules and add-ons, Drupal has more flexibility to change the layout using blocks.

Am advocating Drupal.

Yeah MODx is really cool but it is more of a framework than merely a CMS.

Thing is, thats the beauty of it, its both. MODx is a content manager that does everything you want and more, but magically, it doesnt seem to bloat, its a well optimised peice of kit.

What ever you do decide to go for, everything has a learning curve, so you really need to think it through carefully.

I SUPPORT MODx!

deadimp

Reaction score
Might I suggest Thacmus? (link on my signature)
I've built it to be a small, somewhat simple, compact CMS for hobbyists to screw around with it and not have to deal with the dirty, low-level aspects of all the stuff.
However, I wouldn't suggest running off with it and building a site concretely on the latest version, since it's a basic alpha. I'm sure that warning just makes you want to start using it right away, but I mean to just look at it and see what you like/dislike/hate/loathe.
If you decide to visit the site, be sure to explore the Tutorials page and the Source page, get a general feel for it all. I made a pretty big mistake making the first of the home page a link to the SourceForge project page - a mistake I've gotta fix, once I can upload the latest version of Thacmus to the server.

Also, you can look for other CMS's on Open Source CMS, where you can also view demos of them and all. It's very nice, since it requires the projects to be in a stable release, and I intend on listing my project there.

Last edited:

Veivei

Reaction score
For WoW addons/guides website I would recommend Joomla/Mambo.

Personally, Joomla or Mambo is still on my toplist for all around good CMS, they have user friendly interface, lots of useful extensions to improve the core. Newbie user to Joomla/Mambo will easily learn the basic of using both CMS by reading and learning the manual, there are alot of Joomla/Mambo manuals, guides, how to's over the internet. For further details just go to their official forum, everything is there :). Remember, practice makes perfect ;)

The other good one is Drupal, but I would only suggest drupal for blogging site just like Wordpress. They're both rocks on blog-genre CMS.

If you want to try something new, try Dragonfly CMS. It has good security, has a built in forum, light & fast. I think the only weakness of Dragonfly CMS is lack of free templates.

Well that is just my opinion :D

jensen

Reaction score
By multiuser, do you mean like at WordPress.com?

Thing is, thats the beauty of it, its both. MODx is a content manager that does everything you want and more, but magically, it doesnt seem to bloat, its a well optimised peice of kit.

What ever you do decide to go for, everything has a learning curve, so you really need to think it through carefully.

I SUPPORT MODx!

That's really good to hear. Can you tell me more about this bloating issue? How does Modx keep it's CMS from bloating? How do other CMS bloat? Thanks :)