Happy New Year and Plans For 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a great 2015, as we enter 2016 there will be some changes coming to our free hosting services. X10 has been through many iterations over the years and we've learned a lot during this time while overcoming the many challenges of offering a free service.

I'm going to highlight some upcoming changes to the free hosting services, for the most part if you already have an account not a whole lot will change.

cPanel is a complex piece of software and the way the internet is going everything is getting simpler. This makes it hard for us since we're offering a complex solution to a generation of internet users that are used to simple and easy to use services. In fact, the majority of people that sign up with us install Wordpress or use the site builder and don't touch any other cPanel options. This brings me to our first major change.

We will be offering specialized Wordpress and Site Builder accounts. During the sign up process you will pick which type of account you want, Wordpress, Site Builder, or cPanel. You will be able to have multiple account types all managed under one dashboard, I've included a sample screen shot below. This change will allow us to more efficiently use resources by specializing separate hosting environments toward Wordpress and the Site Builder. Those who need just a simple site with the Site Builder won't take up a whole cPanel account and all the overhead associated with it. On top of that we're able to customize the user experience toward the account type picked so a user who picks the Site Builder won't be overwhelmed by being dropped into cPanel with all of its options.

With this change we are going to be opening sign ups to all countries minus the few we're not legally allowed to host. Because of this increased risk of fraud we will be requiring verification for new cPanel accounts in the form of linking Facebook or similar.

We have also partnered up with Weebly to use their Site Builder which is much easier to use than the ones we currently offer. As always, everything will still be offered at no charge regardless of the type of site that you pick.

These changes have been in the works for quite a while and a tentative goal would be to launch our new website, dashboard, and sign up process Q1 of this year.

I'll be happy to address any questions about the changes, just post them here.

newdash.png

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea to keep resources at a stable level. Everything should run a lot smoother for you and everyone for that matter. A lot easier on those who are new to hosting. So you will have like a free server for all wordpress accounts and one for site builder and one for cpanel I would think or similar. ??

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if anyone ever told @Corey that he didn't have to give every awesome new feature he conceives away for free... I mean, I'm definitely enjoying it, but the day he finds out is going to be a sad day in free hosting land :p

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea to keep resources at a stable level. Everything should run a lot smoother for you and everyone for that matter. A lot easier on those who are new to hosting. So you will have like a free server for all wordpress accounts and one for site builder and one for cpanel I would think or similar. ??

Yes, we would have a separate set of servers for each service type so we can customize them for the specific use which will make things much easier for everyone (I hope).

I'm starting to wonder if anyone ever told @Corey that he didn't have to give every awesome new feature he conceives away for free... I mean, I'm definitely enjoying it, but the day he finds out is going to be a sad day in free hosting land :p

With how far things have come with hardware and the amount of time we've had to develop stuff almost everything is automated now at least. :)

nandifamily

Reaction score
@Corey This is a great move, and many of my friends will appreciate this, especially those who run want a simple portfolio for their work website.

So is the Weebly builder coming to paid hosting as an option in cPanel. If it does, it will be fantastic.

bobdavcav98

Reaction score
Two questions,
1. Will there be an option for users like me who have been here a while to convert to the new WordPress setup?
2. If the answer to question 1 is yes, I'll still be able to set up email accounts and the like, right? If the answer is no, would I at least have access to my old account?

spacepr2

Reaction score
For mod security, can you have a info block stating that the content contains html and java. Are you sure you want to be vulnerable for harm to your website? I cannot add simple things and I cannot even add a ad code.

sperko

Reaction score
I completely understand you need to prevent fraud but can we have more information on the possible verification process of new accounts?

I am someone who avoids all social networks, what other verification processes/options would you have other than through Facebook etc?

Last edited:

Dark

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
We will waiting the new changes. :)

AidanLumina

Reaction score
I CAN'T WAIT! :D This is the best hosting service in existence, and I can't wait to finally use it! Also, the updates are really promising! :) Is it okay to promote x10hosting or do you prefer me not to?

"we will be requiring verification for new cPanel accounts in the form of linking Facebook or similar."

Ugh, Facebook and G+ are somewhat of a privacy loss. :/ But well, if it's required then well, I guess it's worth it here. What information would you share with those third parties if I may ask? :)

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There doesn't need to be any sharing as such. You supply an email address, then click on something like a "sign in with [insert service]" button, and they'll handle authentication at that point by handing you a token that you can use to authenticate here. It doesn't need to be a permanent thing either; you can have separate authentication here after you're initially "vouched for" by a service that has the clout (and the budget) to ensure that you are more-or-less a real person with a single identity (or a group of identities that they know all relate to the same person).

AidanLumina

Reaction score
I see. Alright then, thanks for the info.

On another note: Q1 is almost over. ^^'

indigent

Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade my free account to a paid account and cant, someone on the forums told me that I wont be able to and that is odd to me, I have had two paid accounts before and have been a use for a long time and this sounds a little odd to me, I want to continue with x10 but need a little info on buying a paid account, not an upgraded free account, I need to get away from some limitations.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade my free account to a paid account and cant, someone on the forums told me that I wont be able to and that is odd to me, I have had two paid accounts before and have been a use for a long time and this sounds a little odd to me, I want to continue with x10 but need a little info on buying a paid account, not an upgraded free account, I need to get away from some limitations.
I've replied to you in your support thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.