Help choosing a registrar

wazza6

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a domain name and I found a "Namecheap vs. GoDaddy" review, and one of Namecheap's selling points is that they forward emails for free. I haven't had a domain name in years so I'm not too sure about this, but the last time I registered a .com (I don't remember where), it was pretty straightforward and the emails worked just like they do with a subdomain. Is their email forwarding feature basically the same as x10hosting's in case your host doesn't have a mail server?

Also, what registrars are you using? I'm trying to get as cheap as possible with private whois, and so far every google search I do with "registrar_x scam" is full of horror stories...

ajstetson17

Reaction score
My favorite registrar is namesilo. They provide free WHOIS protection and email forwarding, along with many more features. They also have very good prices.

Patrick.B

Reaction score
Hi

I have an account on X10Premium too, and seriously, if you are right to pay a little more, X10 is the best service you can use.

Hope this help you.

wazza6

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer , but it wouldn't make sense to sign up to x10premium, I can pull out 10$ a year out of my pocket for a domain name but I don't need premium features. Dedicated IP and a SSL certificate would be nice, but it doesn't justify spending 70-80$/yr.

If I ever need premium features I'll come straight to x10 that's for sure.

ken.gervais89

Reaction score
My favorite registrar is namesilo. They provide free WHOIS protection and email forwarding, along with many more features. They also have very good prices.

Seeing as I'm unfamiliar with NameSilo, I'm guessing that like many other domain name registrars they also offer free redirection to whatever hosted location I'm using, in my case, x10. Again, assuming that NameSilo does, upon arriving at my site, does the URL in the address bar appear as the one registered with them (ex. www.abcdef.com), or the one I'm using now , which my chosen name for the site, followed by pcriot.com?

I'm on their site now, but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open so I'll bookmark it and check it out properly in the morning...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As long as the links on your site don't change anything and you don't redirect the user using an .htaccess file, the domain should be the .com version. Note that if you're using off-the-shelf software (like WordPress), that will usually mean a settings change using your admin panel or an edit to a configuartion file - for some reason, the writers of the software seem to think that writing full link URLs is a good idea, so you need to choose which URL the user will see (rather than have it remain at whatever the user followed to get to the site).

ken.gervais89

Reaction score
As long as the links on your site don't change anything and you don't redirect the user using an .htaccess file, the domain should be the .com version. Note that if you're using off-the-shelf software (like WordPress), that will usually mean a settings change using your admin panel or an edit to a configuartion file - for some reason, the writers of the software seem to think that writing full link URLs is a good idea, so you need to choose which URL the user will see (rather than have it remain at whatever the user followed to get to the site).

Thanks, I appreciate the 411...