HELP: Review my site, please.

Discussion in 'Review My Site' started by olivejac, Dec 2, 2016.

1. olivejac

olivejac New Member

I would like comments/suggestions (good and bad) on my website. I'm a new author and a novice at creating a website. Not really familiar with all of the terminology on here but had to create a website as part of my publishing class. Thanks. olivejackpublishing.x10host.com

2. eshigluk

eshigluk New Member

I like the colors you used. But one suggestion I would give is, remove some stuff from the sidebar (
    RECENT POSTS,
    RECENT COMMENTS,
    ARCHIVES,

CATEGORIES,
    META,) or at least some of them that are not crucial part of your website.
    But your homepage is pretty cool. And I like your theme.

3. lylex10h

lylex10h Active Member

Enable compression so it loads faster. Add the following code to you .htaccess

Code:
    <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
        <IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
            BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
            BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
            BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
            BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
        </IfModule>
            AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/x-component application/x-javascript application/javascript text/javascript text/x-js text/html text/richtext image/svg+xml text/plain text/xsd text/xsl text/xml image/bmp application/java application/msword application/vnd.ms-fontobject application/x-msdownload image/x-icon image/webp application/json application/vnd.ms-access application/vnd.ms-project application/x-font-otf application/vnd.ms-opentype application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text audio/ogg application/pdf application/vnd.ms-powerpoint image/svg+xml application/x-shockwave-flash image/tiff application/x-font-ttf application/vnd.ms-opentype audio/wav application/vnd.ms-write application/font-woff application/font-woff2 application/vnd.ms-excel
        <IfModule mod_mime.c>
            # DEFLATE by extension
            AddOutputFilter DEFLATE js css htm html xml
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
        #The following line is enough for .js and .css
        AddOutputFilter DEFLATE js css woff

#The following line also enables compression by file content type, for the following list of Content-Types:
        AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml application/xml text/javascript application/javascript

#The following lines are to avoid bugs with some browsers
        BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
        BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
        BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
    </IfModule>
    Once you're done with the content, use a plugin such as W3 Total Cache to further optimize the site. These are shared servers, so the less data our sites use, the more bandwidth the server has available.