Help?

POWERtunez

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to stream my own radio to my website. only thing is. it wont work and i dont know why? it encodes out of SAM broadcaster to ice cast 2 and up to the listen URL but then the player doesnt connect when i set it to connect to the listen URL. Help me?

Thankz

woiwky

Reaction score
What player is this? Are you trying to play it through a browser or a media application? Also, could you provide the link to the stream?

VPmase

Reaction score
Maybe the firewall on the server is blocking any connection.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
my website is :: rockradiofm.pcriot.com
and stream is ice casts usual settings lol. thing is ive set it to go there and ive tried settin it 2 my website but none work. and i disabled my anti-virus and firewall and it still fails to connect. i just tried that lol. if i click play on my computer on my website it works fine. i go to my computer outside and click play it wont play.

woiwky

Reaction score
I noticed you have this for the player:

<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" src="http://localhost:8000/live" alt=""></embed>

I believe that's why it isn't working for other computers. Localhost is used to refer to the computer's own server(itself, basically). For your computer, this is correct since that's where the server is. But for other computers, localhost is either going to point to the server set up on them if they have one, or just an invalid link.

If your server is available to the internet, then you need to change localhost to your server's ip in order for other computers to connect to it.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
by server ip do u mean my IP address? if so then is that changing the "localhost" part to my ip address? or just change the player settings to my http://<my ip address> ? tell me what you mean? thanks

woiwky

Reaction score
Yes, by server ip I mean your computer's ip as long as I'm correct in assuming it's the one that is doing the broadcasting. You'd just need to change:

<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" src="http://localhost:8000/live" alt=""></embed>

to:

<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" src="http://your.ip.address:8000/live" alt=""></embed>

And that should provide other computers with the correct link to the stream.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
i've made them changing and i go to my computers and it still won't work. and i dont know why? and SAM broadcaster is encoding out and icecast2 is streaming it. and ideas what it might be now?

POWERtunez

Reaction score
yes i changed it to that. -.- im not that dumb. ive done all that and it's all correct but its still not working lol. And it didnt change the bit that had changed to my IP address thats why but its still not working.

Last edited:

woiwky

Reaction score
Well I still saw it as that in the html source, but it's changed now ;-)

Anyway, I'm getting a timeout from that address. Are you absolutely sure that the ip/port are correct, and that the server is permitting internet requests instead of just local requests?

POWERtunez

Reaction score
do i have to change SAM's encoder to my IP address to sort this? otherwise it is fully streaming but will not play due to timeout.

woiwky

Reaction score
Yes, if you left the encoder's server config to localhost, then you need to change that to your IP.

Last edited:

woiwky

Reaction score
Ah, that is a problem then. I've only dealt with SAM Broadcaster with ShoutCast, and that was a while ago. I'm going out in a few minutes, but when I get back later I'll put icecast2 on my comp and see if I can get it work with remote connections, then I'll get back to you.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
okay thanks. im going to bed lol =) its getting late. ill check back in the morning.

woiwky

Reaction score
I was typing a post saying that I couldn't figure out what the problem was after a good 6 hours of testing. I had forwarded port 8000, set up both icecast and SAM correctly, read many guides on it to which many people commented that they worked perfectly, and yet still I couldn't get other people to connect.

Then a thought occurred as I was typing about forwarding ports -- making my comp a DMZ. I had tried setting my comp to a static NAT, so I wasn't too sure if it'd work. But once I tried it, my friend said within a couple of seconds, "it's working", and I almost fell over. That took about 5 clicks, and I spent a whole 6 hours on this. I had a feeling it was gonna come back to my router, but I was concentrating more on icecast since I had never dealt with it before so I thought I was doing something wrong.

Now, before I explain, I should make it clear that the original configuration you had for icecast/SAM was probably correct. Aside from the link in your page that is. And furthermore, you may not need to make your comp a DMZ in order for it to work. My router just doesn't always obey the rules I set for it. So even when I forward ports it doesn't mean that they're being forwarded correctly. But unfortunately my ISP requires that I use their provided router, so I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, if you haven't forwarded port 8000, then you should try this first. Guides to port forwarding can be found here:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

You just need to know your router's make and model(which should be somewhere on the router itself).

If that doesn't work, then you can try making your comp a DMZ as I did. This basically means that it's not bound by security features your router imposes. For this, you'll need to google "DMZ" along with your router information from before since each router will have a different way of doing things. You should find information about how to do it on your router maker's site at the very least. Most routers make it an easy task, but if you have any trouble with it I can probably help if you tell me what router brand/model it is.

And one other thing to be sure of is that you get someone from *outside* of your network to test if it works. Computers within your network(under the same router) can *only* connect to the stream through your router's IP.

If none of that works, or if you're not behind a router, then I honestly have no idea what it could be. These are probably the two most detailed guides I found, you could try matching your setup against them:

http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/icecast
http://beatproject.blogspot.com/

POWERtunez

Reaction score
Thanks ill try it out now. :naughty:
ill tell you if i have another problem :d
Edit:
erm yeah. i think i mucked up on my config of my router because i did it separate 5 ones and i think i was meant to do all in one?

Last edited:

woiwky

Reaction score
What do you mean by 5 separate ones? Five separate port forwarding rules? And how exactly has your router been messed up?

POWERtunez

Reaction score
nooo. i think i messed up the router by using five separate port forwarding rules. have i done this correct? and if it is i still dont know why it isnt working.

Last edited: