History/Geography Trivia

zen-r

Reaction score
Even I know the first 2 answers to that question.

But I'll leave it to ichwar since the question was addressed to him (& he might know the 3rd answer as well) ;)

fguy64

Reaction score
zen-r, feel free to jump in, I only mentioned ichwar cause he seems to be right on top of this thread.

zen-r

Reaction score
OK, sorry ichwar - I'll leave the 3rd part to you (or someone else if you're quick enough).

1) Deep Blue

2) I'm pretty sure this must be IBM. They had a pretty dominant position in computing back then. After all, there was a time when PCs made by anyone else had to be called "IBM clones"!

I do have a slight advantage here remembering this match - ichwar could only have been about 4 at the time!
baby.gif

zen-r

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give the game a quick watch tomorrow morning.

I just remembered another reason why the computer was most likely made by IBM : the nickname for IBM was Big Blue (hence Deep Blue!)

zen-r

Reaction score
Rather than resigning, I probably would have battled on regardless (would you?) You never know, the computer might then have made it's own mistake (especially if you believe the conspiracy theory that IBM had a team of real people actually deciding the moves for the computer!)

I expect the resignation may have been influenced by Kasparov being a bit tired of playing by then, & also his annoyance with the whole human V computer set-up.

So ichwar, did you know the answer to the 3rd part of the question?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes and No. Does that answer your two questions?

fguy64

Reaction score
Rather than resigning, I probably would have battled on regardless (would you?) You never know, the computer might then have made it's own mistake (especially if you believe the conspiracy theory that IBM had a team of real people actually deciding the moves for the computer!)

I expect the resignation may have been influenced by Kasparov being a bit tired of playing by then, & also his annoyance with the whole human V computer set-up.

So ichwar, did you know the answer to the 3rd part of the question?

good point zen-r. At our level, it is worth it to play on. But at the level that Kasparov and Deep Blue play at, this sort of position is a no-brainer imo. The only reason Kasparov played on is because he was being paid a fortune to put on a show, so he had an obligation to the sponsors. I'm sure Kasparov knew he was toast after Deep Blue played its 8th move.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
we should start an x10 chess tournament!

zen-r

Reaction score
Feel free. You don't need any software, just start a thread & people can post their moves online.

You could go with a normal, 2 player version. Or come up with a clever version involving 2 teams. I don't know how that would work though - perhaps whoever posts the move first for each team. But that would lead to some very fast playing, as everyone rushes to get their post in first!

fguy64

Reaction score
we should start an x10 chess tournament!

I have some ideas about that. Why don't you start up a separate thread in games or off topic, and we'll bounce a few ideas and see where it goes.

fguy64

Reaction score

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hmmm, both of the two threads seem to be dead. Why don't we just have a mod lock these two and we can start a new thread called The Question Thread. There, we can ask any type of question, not geography or person relevant?

zen-r

Reaction score
I think it's entirely up to fguy64 what he wants to do with these threads, since he started them.

If you were to go with closing them & starting another more general purpose thread, you'd probably better not call it The Question Thread. That sounds too much like http://forums.x10hosting.com/forum-games/97574-question-game.html.

Maybe something more like The Trivia Game?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Or, 'zener lightning round'!

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
I don't care. Sure, we could can this thread and the Who Am I thread and start up a new one just called Trivia, so we can include sports and entertainment. That might keep it going longer. I'd like to keep it real though, The Question Thread seemed to get kind of silly.