Resolved How can I change my domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix42

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am the owner of the free domain http://cardifydebate.x10.bz, and I would like to change my domain name to http://matrixprogramming.x10.bz.

I logged into DirectAdmin to change the domain, and I came across this setting.

upload_2020-3-26_9-36-45.png

Is this the correct way to change my domain name? What other steps would I need to take?

Thank you so much for your help

Best,
Matrix4f

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
That is indeed the correct way to change the domain, and assuming the domain you wish to change into is free there should be no other steps in regards to the domain being changed.

However, if you have any scripts installed that you intend to keep, those may need some alterations to work with the new domain. In some cases that can mean editing a configuration file or in worst case change something in the database.

martinof

Reaction score
That is indeed the correct way to change the domain, and assuming the domain you wish to change into is free there should be no other steps in regards to the domain being changed.

However, if you have any scripts installed that you intend to keep, those may need some alterations to work with the new domain. In some cases that can mean editing a configuration file or in worst case change something in the database.
Thanks for your help!

The only things I need to keep are (1) a MySQL database and (2) PHP files that are stored on the server. Changing the domain name should not affect either of these, correct?

Best,
Matrix4f

Edit: Sorry, I accidentally replied using the "martinof" forum account I had initially created. I am OP (matrix42).

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the domain name should not affect the database nor the files, those would not be touched in anyway.

However as an example I can say that if you have wordpress installed, you would need to update configurations with the new domains as they would automatically try to redirect to the domain it has in configurations. If the php files and databases are something you coded yourself that may not apply though

Status
Not open for further replies.