How fast is your Internet?

lhyman

Reaction score
I live in Montreal, I am with Bell Sympatico. I have had a lot of problems with my Internet... After much complaining and fixing I am extremely happy..

I pay for regular HS it's supposed to be a 3meg account.. I have been with bell sysmpatico HS from day one and I have an account with unlimited downloads and I pay $45/month(can) 2wire modem included

To fix most of the line error problems, bell took the easy way out and jumped up my service to 8meg for free. When I do INTERNET speed test, I always get results like my download is 7.3 meg and my upload is 687 k

However when ever I download something with IE, I always get a download rate of between 850 K - 1.1 Meg a sec.

I think my INTERNET is very fast and I am very happy with the service..

So let me ask?

where do you live?
what kind of HS do you have?
and what is your download rate?

Thanks

Last edited:

nexhunter

Reaction score
isp: verizon fios 20meg download and 5 meg upstream
552130357.png

for download speeds it usually depends on the connection to the server and how many people are also connected to it, I usually get 2.2mb/s max on good times.

Last edited:

lhyman

Reaction score
isp: verizon fios 20meg download and 5 meg upstream
552130357.png

for download speeds it usually depends on the connection to the server and how many people are also connected to it, I usually get 2.2mb/s max on good times.

wow, that's fast, how much does it cost a month?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ISP: Bredbandsbolaget AB
Plan: 24 mbps down, 1 mbps up for $50/month

$50/month

They've just installed fibre optics here, and I may upgrade to it, either 24 mbps or 100 mbps

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
East Tennessee, USA.
Charter Communications... suckish.

This was the closest server:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
wow, that's fast, how much does it cost a month?

He has Verizon FiOS (Fiber to the home internet/TV/Phone). His package is in fact out of date and he can now get 25Mbps/25Mbps for a few dollars extra. FiOS is coming my way very soon and I'll be ordering it as soon as possible. If he wants that though, he'll need to call up sooner or later before Verizon possibly removes it.

You're confusing bits from bytes. There are 8 bits to the byte, so after I convert your megabit result into kilobits, and then convert it to kilobytes, you're getting right where you should be.

Here is the result from my DSL line tested at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest (a site I use all the time, gives me accurate results). This is Verizon DSL on the Fast Packet mode, ADSL2+ and is $40 for unlimited and unthrottled usage. Take note that the upload provisioning was a goof up on my ISP's end, so I'm pulling double the upload I should be.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 7258 kbps (907.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1552 kbps (194 KB/sec transfer rate)
Here is a trace route to the server:

C:\Users\>tracert nyc.speakeasy.net

Tracing route to nyc.speakeasy.net [216.254.95.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms SmithNet [10.10.10.0]
2 5 ms 6 ms 5 ms 10.15.3.1
3 5 ms 6 ms 6 ms so-1-1-0-0.-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.**.**]
4 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms as4-0.NY325-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.20.104]
5 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms 0.xe-1-1-0.XL3.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.45]
6 16 ms 17 ms 16 ms 0.xe-7-0-0.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.3.166]
7 17 ms 18 ms 19 ms te-7-1-0.edge2.NewYork2.level3.net [4.68.127.21]
8 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms vlan52.ebr2.NewYork2.Level3.net [4.69.138.254]
9 18 ms 21 ms 17 ms ae-4-4.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.141.17]
10 18 ms 19 ms 19 ms ae-74-74.csw2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.118]
11 19 ms 20 ms 17 ms ge-9-0.ipcolo2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.97.46]
12 18 ms 18 ms 19 ms 166.90.136.34
13 19 ms 20 ms 21 ms dns.nyc1.speakeasy.net [216.254.95.2]

Trace complete.

My Line Statistics from the Linux router:

smith@smithnet-linrouter:~$ sudo routmng stat eth0 -a
pass:

eth0 is a PPPoE ADSL connection. Gathering Statistics...

==============================
Modem: Westell 6100 C-906100
Line Mode: ADSL2+ (Annex. G) FAST
Line Theoretical Throughput (Down/Up): 7818 1792
Signal-to-noise (Down/Up) 21dB 18.5dB*
Attenuation (Down/Up) 2dB 2dB*
Power (Down/Up) 9.2dBm 11.8dBm*

Upstream Statistics were acquired at time of sync. Stats are logged until restart
Connection Type: PPPoE
Connected? Yes
MTU: 1488
(lines edited out due to security reasons)

CRC Errors within the last day (Down/Up) 0 0
ATM Dropped packets within the last day (Down/Up) 11408 6478
ATM Error packets within the last day (Down/Up) 0 0

Last PPPoE failure: None logged
Last DSL reconnect: May 25, 2009
Total number of logged reconnects: 4

(stats beyond here edited out due to length)
Verizon really needs to get their DSL network off of the ATM network and onto the Ethernet based network. These dropped packets are due to how inefficient the ATM network is, which is why I'd love to see Packet over Ethernet to my DSL line.

Also for anyone with a connection greater than 10 MegaBITS a second, please use an NDT/Java test! Flash tests start to get flaky at speeds above 10Mbps/768kbps from what I've found.

Last edited:

epyon346

Reaction score

That's in my apartment complex from Dovetail Digital. It comes with the rent, so I don't pay anything extra. I'm currently in Columbia, SC going to college.

My internet at my home in Myrtle Beach is much faster, and doesn't have this odd little quirk of having quicker upload speeds than download speeds. I'm not sure that I've ever really seen that before.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

That's in my apartment complex from Dovetail Digital. It comes with the rent, so I don't pay anything extra. I'm currently in Columbia, SC going to college.

My internet at my home in Myrtle Beach is much faster, and doesn't have this odd little quirk of having quicker upload speeds than download speeds. I'm not sure that I've ever really seen that before.

I've never seen that before either, it's very odd.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

At my schools internet, I've achieved to get the upload 10 times faster than download once xD (3 mbps down, 30 mbps up). Maybe it's because 200 people use the internet at the same time, but nobody uploads anything?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Strange coincidence but my ISP is going to double my 512k to 1mb tonight so I'll post my results tomorrow :)

Yes I know it's slow but that's because I'm technically limited to wireless and only two ISPs (the other one is so bad I won't even think about it. To be fair though when I pay for 1mb I get 1mb all the time and nobody cares what and how much I download so the service is OK. That's of course my home connection.

It's around $20.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
At my schools internet, I've achieved to get the upload 10 times faster than download once xD (3 mbps down, 30 mbps up). Maybe it's because 200 people use the internet at the same time, but nobody uploads anything?

I'd say so :)

My school has very fast upload too.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

I've also noticed that the bandwidth for uploads generally tends to be higher than downloads at our school. You can't completely disregard the amount people upload, because we're constantly sending requests to the websites which take up uploading bandwidth, but then again, the proportion between the two makes the uploading amount insignificant.

When I have to upload any large files to Mediafire or other file sharing websites, I usually put it on a flash drive and do it at school. :)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
When I have to upload any large files to Mediafire or other file sharing websites, I usually put it on a flash drive and do it at school. :)

That's strictly against my school's policy. We'd get suspended really quick. =[

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
That's strictly against my school's policy. We'd get suspended really quick. =[

My school also makes an attempt to try to prevent its students from wasting the school's bandwidth by stating that only school-related things are permitted. However, they're very difficult at enforcing it, and the only punishment for being caught is having the computer lab staff remote controlling your computer and closing the internet browser window.