How to actually get the site up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
<sigh> WHAT a learning curve for somebody who's never done anything like this before. So. I created my site using Sandvox for Mac. I've uploaded all my files (I hope) manually using the Upload button in my cPanel. NOW what? How do i .. for lack of better words ... activate the site ... that is, how do i find my url to access the site on the web, say using Safari on my Mac. I know it's prolly soooo simple. But i'm soooo tired. Any help would be appreciated.
As an afterthought, i had also read somewhere that not all web hosting services accept some different types of web building software. How do i figure out if it works or not? I suppose i need to check and all that, but please. Just the first part of getting my url would be supremely helpful. Thanks muchly, and have a great day everybody. :D

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If the files are up, the site is active. You chose your own URL when you signed up for a Free Hosting account, so you should already have that in hand. If not, it will be available both on the sign-on page (after you authenticate and before you're redirected to cPanel) and in cPanel itself (it will be labelled "Main Domain"). Free Hosting here only works with HTML/XHTML and PHP; it will not run Perl, Python or any flavour of ASP. If the sofware you used to create your site created HTML or PHP files (along with images, CSS and/or JavaScript) then you should be good to go. Do keep in mind that your "home" page needs to be called either index.html or index.php in order for it to open automatically.

There could be one other problem: the default page that is created when you first create your account is "sticky", so you might need to clear your browser's cache and history for your site before you can see your home page.

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Thank you so! Essellar! ... well, when i go to my url, all i see is my index. I also see a copy of my Sandvox software zipped, but I cannot seem to upload the actual Sandvox document itself which puts all the files together ... And yes, I have cleared my cache several times over the past few days ... we play a lot of games around here! ... however. I don't understand the lingo, Perl, Python, ASP, etc. All i know, is that when I open the source code in my Sandvox document, i see html ... it's ovbiously CSS which i take to mean dynamic html, or whatever it's called these days. So. Considering that I can see my index, but not my finished webpage document created by Sandvox. What next. Which is take you to mean my "home" page ... ? Is this correct essellar? And again, thank you. I've searched endlessly for some kind of tutorial, but cannot find one to my satisfaction. They all teach to upload files using other software, and FTP, and I just manually uploaded them myself. I thought it would be safer that way ....

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If all else fails, please post your site URL. (Not everyone who helps in the community support area has access to the user information tools.) It may be that you've missed a step somewhere between editing your page(s) and uploading the files.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
In this case, the problem is simply that your "home" page is called Index.html, with a capital "I". Unix-type operating systems are case-sensitive. Windows isn't. It would be best to change things so that all of your file names are lower-case only (and make sure that any links to those files are also lower-case); that will keep a lot of mysterious errors from creeping in along the way.

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned the case sensitive thing. As habit, i generally keep all file names in lower case ... however. When I checked my files, i see that quite a few of them are Capitalized!! <sigh>
My url: msl.x10.mx ... which i assume translates into http://msl.x10.mx?
Thanks you essellar for your help ...:cat:

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
As an afterthought, i thought i'd mention, that there is no file called Index.html ... when I try to change the name of the web document created with Sandvox to Index.html ... my comp (Mac) tells me i cannot do this. So. I'm a little a loss what to do. I COULD try to upload it with Sandvox itself, except that it's a trial version, and won't publish more than 5 pages ... i'm wondering if that will affect things using x10 ...

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Oh man. I'm getting SOOO confused. :( I would like to attach a snapshot of my Sandvox settings, mebbe that would be the better idea? I'm not sure how to set this up either.

Sandvox Host Settings.png

Last edited:

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Ok. I changed the server to x10hosting.com ... i've read from Sandvox help that the best way to go is to use SFTP. I know the password. Am looking for the port number information ... Ok. The port number is automatically filled in for me.
I just don't know what the folder: is supposed to be .... but maybe i'll figure this out yet!
Nothing is working. I've shut down the firewall, tried every possible way.
I'm pretty sure i'm missing the index.html ... and don't know either where to find it or how to get it uploaded. The file i created was in Sandvox (for Mac), and the file has a .sandvox extension. When i try to rename it, it won't let me. As well, the file size is quite large, 2gigs more or less .... <sigh>

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
You need to change the protocol to FTP instead of SFTP, and use your domain name as the Server. The folder needs to be public_html and your username and password are the same as your x10 login details. :)

Thank you,

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Thank you Dead-i. Much appreciated.
One more thing. Am I correct in saying that after i've uploaded my Sandvox document called DM1.sandvox, i can change the name within my file manager to index.html and then all should be well? And why after it's uploaded, is it .zip? How does this affect everything? Thanks, and have a good one.

Last edited:

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Yep, did all that. Should be working. But it's not. And now I'm being told by several different error messages that I am over the quota. How can that be, if it is unlimited everything? Man. Now what.

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Well, i suppose there's SOME progress. Now when i go to the page, i don't see my index anymore, i see gobblygook .... strings of nonsense .... i know i'm close ... hehehe :banghead:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, your account is currently exceeding it's quota. New accounts are initially limited to 1GB space (which is quite a lot still for a web space). Though you can request for Unmetered (no limit) space at a later date, currently your account doesn't qualify for this as there is a .zip in your public_html consuming 85% of your space.

mslx10m2

Reaction score
Well, i posted up some stuff this morning, just before my Rogers internet went for a big dive ... but apparently the posts never made it here.
I changed my settings to the recommended settings by Dead-i, and get nothing but my password is not being accepted. I changed my website name to index.html and if i remove the .zip extension, and go to the website, i just gobbledygook. If i leave the .zip extension, i still get my index. I'm a little at loss what to do next. My email has been playing havoc all day as well ... but i suppose there must be some sorta maintenance going on ... i dunno. Here's a shot of my latest settings ... to follow in a few ...

mslx10m2

Reaction score
Here's the screen shots of my settings. Somebody help me PLEEEEEZE and thank you ... :banghead:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-10-11 at 6.17.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-10-11 at 6.17.39 PM.png
    453.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen shot 2013-10-11 at 6.18.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-10-11 at 6.18.49 PM.png
    508 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.