How to make subdomains???

c740015

Reaction score
I'm having trouble creating sub domains..

I have read many tutorials on youtube and tired applying some methods my self..

I have come so far in setting it up I dont wanna break it now lol..

How do you create subdomain? In Webmin or Vritualmin.

I basiacally want

home.domain.com
home1.domain.com
home2.domain.com

I Need to use subdomains because I use them now,

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you have your own nameservers or do you point the domain as an A record from the registrar?

c740015

Reaction score
I created my name servers in GoDaddy.. Thats who my domain is with.

I created 2 hosts in Host Summary (add)
ns1 and ns2
then added them into the nameservers on godaddy.
so yes i think I have my own name servers...
I have a desbian setup with webmin and virtual min.. with apache and Mysql

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you run DNS on your server?

If you use the DNS at goDaddy, you could set up the subdomains as A records and add them to the vHost file (that's what I used to do). If you have DNS running on your server you would have to do it there, but I have no idea on that as I never did it that way.

c740015

Reaction score
Nope the dns is controlled in BIND i believe its not hosted at godaddy it says..

Total DNS: (Not hosted here)

I just entered the name server records i made in go daddy. Through the Host Summary.
But I dunno how to make subdomains on the VPS??????

c740015

Reaction score
This is driving me crazy.. I have solved everything else.. Thanks to alot of support on here and mass googling lol..

in virtualmin I created a new virtual server. for the subdomain.
how is anything going to point to it... Is there something I need to change in godaddy so that something points to it??
Like another Host Summary (add)
then adding another name server???

This is the only thing I'm stuck on.. Because there is some applications that point to these subdomains that have been made.
I need these subdomains up on the VPS..

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Refresh my memory.
What OS did you end up using on your VPS?
I have been following your problem all day trying to detect some detail that is being overlooked but have not noticed it yet.
If you are running your own DNS through BIND on your own VPS, this should be as simple as creating a new virtual server in Virtualmin such as subdomian.mydomain.com at which point Virtualmin should do the setup automatically. I have done this very thing dozens of times with no problems. I don't understand why that procedure does not work in your case.

c740015

Reaction score
well basically I have a domain with godaddy..

I created 2 ns records there in summary hosts then entered the hosts made into the nameservers in godaddy..

so i have ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com in go daddy with the name servers in as the same..

II have the desbian setup with virtualmin and webmin. all set with the LAMP server.

I tried creating the new virtual server.. But I type the address in nothing there..

I think there is something I need to make in godaddy again like more summary hosts,, or new nameservers...

Or am i doing it all wrong should it all be setup a different way... All i need now for my server to go online is the subdomains lol..

Driving me crazy now lol..

Thanks.

c740015

Reaction score
Haa Haaa no way.. After doing all this I finally worked it out..

This is what i did in host summary I created another one named NS3.HOME.DOMAIN.COM now i can navigate to HOME.DOMAIN.COM

and obviously I added that to nameservers aswell in godaddy and created the new virtual server JOB DONE!... I'm happy now :)))))) Thanks.....

I been working on this for a long time.. lol.. I fixed the file permission error aswell Im ready to go...

Thanks so much... SOLVED.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I have never used godaddy but if you have your domain registered and your nameservers registered with them that should be all you need to do at godaddy. But, perhaps, godaddy does things differently than the registrars I have used.
But I type the address in nothing there..
I realize this statement is very obvious and I am sure you have already taken this into account, but are you allowing time for the subdomain to propagate? (24 to 48 hours). Not sure exactly what you mean by "nothing there". Just trying to throw out an idea or two.
Driving me crazy now lol..
Been there and done that.