How to parse JSON (from Twitter) with PHP??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zenax, May 29, 2015.

1. Zenax

Zenax Active Member

Hi,

I assume that since the re-design of the forums, this is the best place to put it.

I am building a small script with PHP, that fetches from the Twitter API. I have managed to get the JSON output, but now am at a loss as to how to process the information I receive. I was wondering if you could look at the code I have below and help me to display it properly in HTML and CSS format??

PHP:
    <?php

session_start
    ();

require_once(
    "twitteroauth-master/twitteroauth/twitteroauth.php");

$account                         =        '';

function 
    get_Tweets($account) {

$noTweets                    =        10;

$api_key                    =        '';

$api_secret                    =        '';

$access_key                 =         '';

$access_key_secret            =        '';

function 
    new_twitter_favourite_list($cons_key$cons_secret$oauth_token$oauth_token_secret) {

$connect_to_twitter        =        new TwitterOAuth($cons_key,$cons_secret,$oauth_token,$oauth_token_secret);
                return 
    $connect_to_twitter;
            }

$connect_to_twitter new_twitter_favourite_list($api_key$api_secret$access_key$access_key_secret);

$tweets $connect_to_twitter->get("https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/user_timeline.json?screen_name=".$account."&count=".$noTweets);

return 
    $tweets;

foreach(
    $tweets as $tweet) {

$status         =     $tweet->text;

$tweetTime        =     $tweet->created_at;

$tweetId         =     $tweet->id_str;

$output             =      '<li>'.$status.'<a style="font-size:85%" href="http://twitter.com/'.$account.'/statuses/'.$tweetId.'">'$tweetTime .'</a></li>';

echo 
    $output;
            }

}
    Any help greatly appreciated!! (Please ignore the terrible indentation in my code, it didn't seem to paste right from Sublime into this post.)

2. essellar

essellar Community Advocate Community Support

All you seem to be missing is a json_decode() call between getting the JSON and iterating over the tweets. json_decode() will convert the JSON text into a nested PHP array/hash/dictionary thingy for you.

3. Zenax

Zenax Active Member

So instead of echoing the outut as $ouput I should do something like
    PHP:
    json_decode($output); 
    ?? and when it comes out as an array how would I get certain details out of said array??

4. essellar

essellar Community Advocate Community Support

No, $tweets needs to be JSON-decoded:
    PHP:
    $tweets json_decode($connect_to_twitter->get("https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/user_timeline.json?screen_name=".$account."&count=".$noTweets));
    You already have the code in place to iterate through the array (it's what that foreach($tweets as $tweet){...} loop is all about). Oh, you'll need to get rid of the return $tweets; line, since you're not taking that variable outside of the get_Tweets() function.