.htaccess file missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tctpcrio

Reaction score
I need some help/assistance.

I have looked everywhere in my cpanel file manager, and I cannot find the .htaccess file. It is probably hidden in my account, and I absolutely have no access what so ever into .htaccess.

Symptoms:

• If I try to create the .htaccess file using the new file feature in the file manager, it would say that the file exists, even though that it is not listing the file in the manager.
  • .htaccess is not appearing in my public_html root, or in my custom domain folder that I am using.
  • When I try to create a redirect in the domains section (which I need), I get the following error:
"There was an error adding the redirect.

Unable to write to .htaccess: /home/tctpcrio/*addresses*/.htaccess"
I have checked my website permissions already, and it seems to be working fine.​

I have no idea what is going on. It might be my account or something because I have no clue what is causing this file to not be listed in my file manager. I need the .htaccess file to be visible and listed so that I can or may continue to edit my website hassle-free. Thank you.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
When I go to your account I do see an .htaccess both in public_html and in the folder for your custom domain. The one for your custom domain did however have the wrong permissions set, which would be what caused the error message about being unable to write to .htaccess when you were setting the redirect, I have corrected this.

In order to actually see the .htaccess in file manager you must tick the box that says "show hidden files (dot files)" (or at least the option should say some along those lines)

tctpcrio

Reaction score
Thank you Anna for the help. Now I know how to access the .htaccess files now, and how to fix it if something goes wrong.

Everything is working fine for now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.