HTML 5 has been released, who knew?

shaunak

Reaction score
January 22nd W3C published the latest working draft for HTML 5. The HTML 5 working group includes AOL, Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Mozilla, Nokia, Opera and many hundred other vendors.

Some of the new features in HTML 5 are functions for embedding audio, video and graphics, client-side data storage, and interactive documents. Other features are new page elements like <header>, <section>, <footer>, and <figure>.

HTML 5 improves interoperability and reduce development costs by making precise rules on how to handle all HTML elements, and how to recover from errors.

Funny, its been quite a while, yet I didnt know, and imm sure many of you guys didnt too!

Check it out: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/html5.asp

Hauzer

Reaction score
The current HTML isn't bad and i've gotten really used to it, im sure there will be more room for extra tags. ;]

networker

Reaction score
It would be amazing if they had some new useful tags.

Last edited:

LHVWB

Reaction score
I had a look at some of the new tags, some of them look really interesting such as <video> and <time>.
Thanks for the link. :)

Sohail

Reaction score
Cool, will all the browsers understand it if i were to use it now?

Xemnas

Reaction score
Video, audio and image embedding? Sounds like it's bye-bye for Flash :eek4:

networker

Reaction score
There is some neat things like the video tag.I've always just used classic
html with css styles.
If it works in the most recent versions of internet explorer and
mozilla it's good enugh for me.I've never considered Opera or Safari.
I think theres only enough room for so many browsers any anyway.

It's too bad things such as circular or shaped image tags couldn't be added.
It would make things just a little bit easier.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
All older browsers will need a patch to be able to recognize HTML 5.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing this info. I guess I'll need to make a little more room for HTMl in my head :p

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Wow. This is awesome.

I'm curious... do ANY browsers support the video or audio tag? FF3 should, right? IE8 doesn't, and I'm not sure about the other tags, but they are probably supported.

A couple of these look rather useful and I really can't wait to see what is done with them. I know I can probably come up with some new stuff now, but just wait, the real gurus will make some crazy stuff.

Also, I'm really curious now because the <canvas> tag is HTML5. I could have sworn that I used that last year. It wasn't supported in IE without a .js patch(not really a patch, just a .js file to include), but worked in FF and maybe Opera. In fact, yes. <canvas> was out before Jan 22. Unless they mean Jan 22 of 2007... Then that makes more sense. But I do know for a fact at least <canvas> existed before Jan 22nd of 2008. I investigated that a lot because a man named benjamin joffe made a 3d FPS in pure javascript using the canvas tag and I was simply amazing and tried to understand and manipulate(mod) the code.

frankfriend

Reaction score
The key question is which browsers support which features of HTML 5. Just like the issues of how the browsers tend to support HTML 4 in different ways - that's why we have to test our sites on several different browsers, and sometimes have to compromise and used the 'lowest common factor'.

megaman4278

Reaction score
Yeah, the question is which browsers do support the new HTML? And will website designers immediately be able to grasp the new features of HTML 5?

CuteKate400

Reaction score
I actualy knew of it but I don't really know whats so good about it?
I would love to learn it, hopefully its great.