HUGO on x10host

jensen

Reaction score
esellar spoke about Hugo (https://gohugo.io/) on another thread and without risking to hijack that thread on static website generators, I've started this to learn this new stuff.

after being used to WordPress and Drupal, hugo and hexo are totally different beast. Can we install Hugo on x10hosting?

on the website, the downloads were for LINUX or MAC or Windows. Am confused as we normally get zip files where we download and upload to the webserver.

On the hugo website they seem to be talking about the command line. Wow! So does this mean we cannot install it here?

having your code hosted on github is open for all to see? So that makes it less safe. How is it that Hugo claims to be safer?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hugo doesn't live on the server normally; it's meant for creating pages locally and deploying those to the server (via FTP or whatever). Yes, you can install Hugo and your sources (Markdown files, TOML/YAML/JSON, etc.) on a "rented hardware" server and have it generate pages there to web-accessible directories, but that's mostly missing the point, which is to be able to deploy to anything that can serve HTML files (Dropbox, github, or whatever). All that goes to the server is static HTML files, CSS and images (along with whatever JavaScript you want to have in place). Hugo (and software like it) is software that generates a website, not software that runs a website. No code runs on the server, apart from the HTTP server software (Apache or what have you) and the operating system.

jensen

Reaction score
"It generates a website" - one word -> WOW!
Now to wrap my head around it and figure it out. Off I go to HUGO website to read.
Thanks essellar.

Found a nice tutorial to share on starting with HUGO, Firebase & gitlab
https://write-posh.com/post/2016-10-13-firebase-hugo-gitlab/

update: the above site is no longer found.

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Please correct if the statement is wrong.

1) HUGO is installed on your laptop/desktop. This is where you have your files and do your work, "the content". Note: Hugo loves mac and linux more than windows :)
update - correction. They also have tutorial for windows people https://gohugo.io/tutorials/installing-on-windows/

2) HUGO then sends the markdown files + templates to the dropbox/gitHub/firebase/amazonS3 in the proper html.
Note: This is done with command line

3) The gitHub would then serve your pages to the visitors who calls on them via their browser URL.
Note: Your visitors cannot tell if it was done by a HUGO or HUGO like system as the "view page source" will only output the static file content.

So HUGO does not live on a server (while it can, but it defeats the purpose)

Now to ftp the static files here on x10hosting.com :D

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell. It's not quite editing directly online with a standard CMS HTML editor for the convenience of the lazy ("compiling" and uploading are extra steps), and multi-user does sort of depend on using a version control system (like git) as the central repository, but it does do clean work (if your templates are clean - it's as capable of creating nightmare HTML code as Notepad, TextEdit or ed are if that's what you insist on) and there's nothing but static HTML at the web-server end of the game. There are the same limitations there would be with hand-editing HTML (plus a couple, since Markdown is not as eloquent a language as HTML is), but if you're creating a text-heavy site that's meant mostly for reading/presenting information (as opposed to something that's very interactive), you get a lot of bang for your buck at the server end without paying too much up front since all the server does is send requested files to the browser.

jensen

Reaction score
Still have not got it yet. Looks like i have to learn git and make an account on github for hosting. Also need a linux machine to run hugo. signed up for an account on c9 ubuntu to temporary learn how to install hugo and run it there. Then come back and report my progress. It's sure harder than Drupal. Thought drupal 5 had a steep learning curve back then.
At least am encouraged to read about some big drupal sites moving over to hugo.

so if I wrote with html5 + Css3 on notepad, that's also a static site. But the difference with hugo is that its written to "churn out" static html files for all the stuff you write with markdown + theme.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You shouldn't need Linux or git/github. That's just sort of the default setup (where "Linux" can really be read as OS X CLI shell for the most part). Welcome to the wonderful world of kids who think that StackOverflow is better than documentation (surely somebody smarter than me has figured it out already!). Remember the days when the whole program would fit on a single-sided standard-density floppy and you got a 500+-page manual you could actually read? I miss those days.

jensen

Reaction score
These days there is just so much flexibility so many options that one can get lost in the jungle of information mess. :)
Unless one has a good understanding of the basics of the internet, the fluff and the noise can distract you as to the real stuff.

Documentation takes hard work. So most would rather work on the programs rather than the documentation because before they can do the documentation, something new-er is already out there?

Thankfully they came up with "version control" to make the documentation part a bit easier, but then someone still needs to get the documentation done. To make it clear yet simple, to make people understand without boring them with details.

Kids need to learn to read, and not run away with "tl, dr". I'm guilty of looking for a youtube video - https://gohugo.io/overview/quickstart/ instead of reading it

UPDATE: Finally managed to install hugo with this tutorial by vexxhost. https://vexxhost.com/resources/tuto...go-the-static-site-generator-on-ubuntu-14-04/

So time to move from WordPress to Hugo and report my progress here.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
[Slightly off topic]
I guess I'm alone in remembering Batfink right here? Hugo A-Go-Go. The world's maddest scientist.

banner_1139.jpg

jensen

Reaction score
Making slow progress with hugo. Finally got hugo onto my linux machine and the firebase CLI as well. It's easy to generate the hugo website like the promised but all I got was a folder with everything required for a website without figuring out how people will see my site.

The tutorials as good but because there's just so many choices and options I got drowned in them. It's almost like learning to swim by jumping in at the deep end.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Um, yeah... useful documentation isn't big with the kids these days. Or, rather, "the curse of knowledge" gets in the way a lot: people have a hard time understanding that not everybody already knows what they know. With all of the moving fast and breaking things and disrupting stuff and whatnot, the very idea of a beginners' guide that's actually been looked at by a beginner or two sort of gets lost in the shuffle. (The thing they have as a "beginners' guide" assumes you already know git, have a github account, have the basic Unix shell and git CLI pretty much memorized and know all of the keyboard shortcuts in Sublime Text. My Commodore PET had a large book with a picture of the monitor and a big label under it saying "this is the monitor".)

jensen

Reaction score
That's spot on :D
Thinking I knew html and css and javascript plus PHP was enough. Boy, there's so much more missed by skipping git, command line. Thanks to the beginners' guide tutorial writers, it took me on a journey (they do write explanations and sometimes very detailed, sometimes very brief). Every step opened up even more knowledge. Before one gets to understand it, some new method or concept comes up. Then there goes the gang. So much more to learn.

Thanks for opening my eyes, essellar. (Breaking things yup. Every step)

edtechx1

Reaction score
The thing they have as a "beginners' guide" assumes you already know git, have a github account, have the basic Unix shell and git CLI pretty much memorized and know all of the keyboard shortcuts in Sublime Text.
This is why I'm not using github. And I feel as if I have a well above normal knowledge level compared to the average netizen. I don't do this for a living, but I do do it for fun. I don't mind reading and I don't mind trial and error, but for trial and error you have to at least give me a starting point.

jensen

Reaction score
Just as I was about to celebrate getting hugo running my site, here comes the new version Hugo v0.20
Just love the energy.

Hugo 0.20 introduces the powerful and long sought after feature Custom Output Formats; Hugo isn’t just that “static HTML with an added RSS feed” anymore. Say hello to calendars, e-book formats, Google AMP, and JSON search indexes, to name a few ( #2828 ).

As of 7 hours of the new release, I've upgrade from v0.19 to v0.20 (an achievement in itself.) So happy.

EDIT: Still not able to show for my work yet. But now more excited than ever.

NOTE: If you are keen to learn markdown, check out this tutorial - http://commonmark.org/help/tutorial/

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Last edited: