I can not update my website

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgord5_576

Reaction score
I can no longer update my website.

I uploaded some new html and new pictures three days ago and these web pages and pictures are not displayed on my website even now. I have cleared my cache and buffered web pages in both Chrome and IE and no matter how I access my website, through Chrome or IE or Android, I see my website as it was more than three days ago.

In fact when I use the cPanel and File Manger to upload a new html file, for example, I get the warning that I am about to overwrite an older html file with the same file name but I click "Yes" and it goes through the motions of uploading and then says it is "complete". But after the uploading is through, the "last modified" date for the html file that I just loaded is the old date of weeks ago,not today's date at all. It's as if my uploads are just being dumped into the trash. So it is not surprising then when I try to access my website from the real world (Chrome, IE or Android) it's still the old website.

I seem to be locked out of my ability to even update or modify my website. My website seems to be frozen to an earlier place in time and I can not do anything about it.

I checked the message boards and maybe it is just my website but I don’t know. If this was happening to everyone, the message board would light up like crazy I think.

My website is

rt66.x10host.com

and the day of the last update, as can be seen at the bottom of the index web page, is September 21, 2019. But I have uploaded a new copy of the index web page and several other web pages last week and today again but none of these show up at all.

neobabal

Reaction score
I can't either. Got a server error message that x10hosting had already been notified of the problem (it said "wait 5 minutes") when I tried to publish last night but got same message this morning. Then discovered that my website itself can't be found, either. Got a 404 message.

pgord5_576

Reaction score
Let's try this again. I can not update my website at all. I use cPanel and then File Manger and if I upload any new file (html or jpg or whatever) using File Manager, the system goes through the motions of uploading but my file(s) are going to C:\fakepath\filename.extension and are apparently dumped into the x10 trash. The file never really reaches my real directory. I access x10host via Chrome or IE and there is no difference.

This has been going on for over a week. I try to upload every day with the same nothing result. How can anyone run a website when they can not upload to it?

stormse3

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I can no longer upload any file with File Manager.

I started noticing this a few days ago when I started trying to update my website. File Manager seems to indicate that the file is being uploaded
and that it has completed the upload; unfortunately, the file never does end up being visible at my website.

Very frustrating. I might need to find another free hosting site. Unfortunate; until now, x10hosting has been exactly what I needed.

stormse3

Reaction score
OK, I got this to work, though it kept me busy for most of yesterday and today.
It appears that the x10host ftp server is often maxed out for the number of logins it can accept.
I found this out by using the free FileZilla ftp client (instead of x10hosting File Manager) and reading FileZilla's real-time log while it tries to login and upload. That way, there is a lot more detailed information about the progress (or lack of progress) of the upload which appears to be caught in login jams. For example: "421 60 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry"

I did manage to get my upload to complete that way but it was somewhat of a toss-up for when the logins would be accepted.
Not an ideal solution but for now I am willing to use this as a workaround.

pgord5_576

Reaction score
Are you saying that sometimes upload works and sometimes it doesn't because there are too many people logged on? I use File Manager and not FTP and I never get any kind of message about logging on. I do log in successfully every time and I can see all my files arranged in all the directories just like they should be. I just can not update them. I try to upload at 7:00 AM or Noon or 6 PM or midnight and nothing works. I have tried to upload at least fifty times in the last two weeks and no files are uploaded. The File Manager goes through the motions of uploading but nothing happens. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Am I the only one having this problem? If not, this board should be jammed with complaints. I have never had this problem in several years of using x10hosting so I know what I am doing. But for at least two weeks now nothing happens when I upload. Is anyone listening at x10hosting? Anyone?

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
x10host uses shared servers, they are not dedicated or low use servers.
because of that and the amount of people that abuse free hosting,
x10 i believe limited the amount of connections at 1 time.

using clients like filezilla is ok (if they do NOT use multiple connections)
the more they do the less chance you have at successful connections.
think of ftp clients like a web browser, you can connect with only 10 or 20
connections or like others do with up to 80 or 100+ connections.
when you see it that way it dont take long to use up 60 connections.
just saying.

pgord5_576

Reaction score
OK. But I am 0 for 50 or 60 tries to update my website in the last 2½ weeks. That's a 100% failure rate. I've tried two times today including right now at midnight on the Pacific Coast in the USA (early morning hours in the Europe). So I presume then that everyone else is having the same "success" rate in updating their websites during the last 2½ weeks, right?

In the past several years every time (every time!) I have logged onto cPanel and used File Manager to upload new or updated files, I have had 100% success in doing so. Never a problem. Now I can update absolutely nothing. I log onto my account just fine. I can see all my files just fine. When I try to upload File Manager goes through the motions like it uploads but it really does not upload. Why is it just me (and a few other people) who are being locked out?

afterda3

Reaction score
Perhaps try a FTP client. Filezilla is a very good FTP client that can connect to your web files.
cpanel can be buggy.
Check your webspace allowance too.

pgord5_576

Reaction score
OK, for now it is working. This Tuesday morning I tried again and I was unable to update my website, just like before. But this Tuesday afternoon (Pacific Time Zone on November 5) I was able to update my website!

I'm still concerned as to why I and others were locked out of updating our websites. I hope functionality continues for a long time.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
support has recently fixed issues for most related to uploading & ftp.
as for why you and others were locked out of updating our websites ?
problems happen, all you can do is email support if/when they happen again.
website servers are rarely 100% perfect.
just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.