i need some help with finding a good fourms for my site

jafbox

Reaction score
i have been looking for a while and cannot find a good fourms for my webpage can some one help me

Last edited:

cenobite321

Reaction score
Have you already taken a look at the Fantastico! Fiorum section inside the x10 CPanel? there are lots and very good forums that install within seconds

honeyflash

Reaction score
I love XMB forums! Never had a single problem with it. Totally recommended!

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I would use SMF (Simple Machine Forums) or PHPbb3 . They are very simple, and are easy to manage. However, I wouldn't use the Fantastico Installer for I have encountered many the glitches with it. I'd download the package directly from the provider of the forum system, and install it from there.

--Neil

jafbox

Reaction score
smf i have tryed befor and it is not that great i need something with all the features of Vbulletin but not be vbulletin hmmm XMB ill look it up and theat fantastico thing has many things removed from the forum installer
Edit:
by the way what is this [15:07] * infoinn was kicked by Brandon (brandon@in.da.hood) Reason (Please don't compare Dedicated Servers with Laptops, there totally different.) my laptop is a dedicated server back at home it run a web business server and a shout cast server it has 4 gb of ram and in total of the serial external hdds it has 250tb of space along with 3.1 duo core and a raid backup you can make your lappy in to a dedicated server under certain condition i like he 256kb/s upload on server 1 and 100mb/s upload on server 2 down stream is both 700kb/s
sorry for being off topic i just needed to say that were i say this [15:07] * infoinn was kicked by Brandon (brandon@in.da.hood) Reason (Please don't compare Dedicated Servers with Laptops, there totally different.)

so now that is cleared up

is there any other forums that you may know about

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't get any free Forums system that could even START to compare with IPB of vB. its impossible.

And, Laptops are SOOOOOO Much different than ded. servers. you know how easy it is to crash a laptop remotely? try DDoSing a Dedicated Server thats in a DataCenter. You'll be in jail soon afterwords.

Picard1595

Reaction score
A little off topic but actually ddosing a ded. server is only hard if the datacenter have effective security in place to stop such things. If not then ddosing works just as well as it would on a laptop.

Sohail

Reaction score
Try installing PHPbb3 manually, Fantastico doesn't give you full control of your database, plus it's fully customizable which has an easy to use interface along with a wide range of mods you can download over the web.

I use it for http://forums.sohailtech.com/ and compared to all the other free software I have experienced, this is the best so far.

varunrai

Reaction score
I tink u shud give a try to the web.. http://opensourcecms.com ..
where u cn try differ cms.. which includes forums also.. so u dont need to install to c hw is it..

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Try installing PHPbb3 manually, Fantastico doesn't give you full control of your database, plus it's fully customizable which has an easy to use interface along with a wide range of mods you can download over the web.

I use it for http://forums.sohailtech.com/ and compared to all the other free software I have experienced, this is the best so far.

What if I already installed my forum from fantastico, and have tons of content I would like to stay on it, if I upgrade the phpbb3. to the latest 3.0.4 I think, would that be better..

possible to tell me how to save the posts, and reinstall phpbb3 forums with all the features?

If you can help, or anyone else reading this it would be greatly appreciated.

kkenny

Reaction score
Have you already taken a look at the Fantastico! Fiorum section inside the x10 CPanel? there are lots and very good forums that install within seconds
NO. FANTASTICO IS THE MOST HORRIBLE WAY TO INSTALL A FORUM. WORST THAN A MONKEY CAN DO IT.

I second what Sohail said (about Fantastico)

For me, the best forum systems are phpBB3, SMF, Vanilla and myBB. These are the ones that work for me really well.

xPlozion

Reaction score
i have been looking for a while and cannot find a good fourms for my webpage can some one help me

take a look at fluxbb. it's really easy to integrate into an existing site, it's lightweight, but it doesn't have all the features you want (pm, etc), but a lot of them can be added to it by extensions. the current version is 1.2.21 iirc, and 1.3 is being renamed to 2.0 which is being billed for a late 09 date. 1.2 is recommended and will be used for some time still, and will eventually be made into 1.4 after some further updates.

hcse26

Reaction score
smf i have tryed befor and it is not that great i need something with all the features of Vbulletin but not be vbulletin hmmm XMB ill look it up and theat fantastico thing has many things removed from the forum installer
Edit:
by the way what is this [15:07] * infoinn was kicked by Brandon (brandon@in.da.hood) Reason (Please don't compare Dedicated Servers with Laptops, there totally different.) my laptop is a dedicated server back at home it run a web business server and a shout cast server it has 4 gb of ram and in total of the serial external hdds it has 250tb of space along with 3.1 duo core and a raid backup you can make your lappy in to a dedicated server under certain condition i like he 256kb/s upload on server 1 and 100mb/s upload on server 2 down stream is both 700kb/s
sorry for being off topic i just needed to say that were i say this [15:07] * infoinn was kicked by Brandon (brandon@in.da.hood) Reason (Please don't compare Dedicated Servers with Laptops, there totally different.)

so now that is cleared up

is there any other forums that you may know about

vBulletin is something kinda hard on the pocket. But if you can afford to spend $180, it would be worth it and I'm telling you from first hand experience of Admining a vBulletin Forum.

xtreemgreen

Reaction score
MyBB is probably the closest thing to VB you will find..Ive used it may times and like it alot.

jafbox

Reaction score
no one seem to know of any better fourms so i made sure i just had one now thatnk you for your help oh btw check out my site and my fourms the forums are empty cuz i dont have too many ppl visiting them
http://www.jafsounds.co.cc

Last edited: