Illegal?

dashaman

Reaction score
Would hosting anime that are unlicensed but fansubbed on like megaupload or exteral stuff Be illegal? ;O

dash

nanat

Reaction score
So, we can post links to downloadable files of anime movies like naruto and bleach?Won't that be against the TOS?

Slothie

Reaction score
Naruto + bleach are licensed so it WILL be against the TOS

toasterthegamer

Reaction score
Naruto + bleach are licensed so it WILL be against the TOS

CORRECTION.. Just so you know the subbed versions of these anime's cant not be sold and have no licenses! There for if it is a fan based sub and not in English then your good. I've looked heavily into this as I once ran a site hosting anime. I didnt want the CIA/FBI knocking on my door saying I was doing illegal stuff. ;)

-Toaster

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you read the TOS you will see anything that is copyrighted or licensed is not allowed.
It specifically says anima.

dashaman

Reaction score
naruto shippuuden has not been license Nor the 3rd half of Bleach the Arrancar and the Vaizer has not be licensed.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
x10 Terms Of Service

"» Anime : Copyrighted anime is not allowed on our servers. This includes variations of anime including manga, hentai etc. Also inlcudes any sites which provide links to information about such material. If you created the material yourself, you may host the content on your site."

I am guesing your best bet would be to stick to the rules and only host your own art. You should of seen this yourself when reading these rules.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
x10 Terms Of Service

"» Anime : Copyrighted anime is not allowed on our servers. This includes variations of anime including manga, hentai etc. Also inlcudes any sites which provide links to information about such material. If you created the material yourself, you may host the content on your site."

I am guesing your best bet would be to stick to the rules and only host your own art. You should of seen this yourself when reading these rules.

Hmm..since some animes are not licensed, inst copyrighted in us and then, available to host, dont?
maybe corey could answer this better.

lambada

Reaction score
You don't need to licence something for copyright to take effect.

Copyright is held by someone the moment they create the piece of work.

The licences only gives people the right to publish the work in a certain market. If you don't have a licence they haven't said you can publish it.

Let me give an example

Company A creates a piece of anime called 'ExampleAnimeWork'
Company B approaches Company A and asks to licence 'exampleAnimeWork' in the US.
Company A agrees, and contracts are signed.
This is legal

However

Company C may see 'ExampleAnimeWork' and like it, they decide to do a 'fan-sub' based upon 'ExampleAnimeWork'. As they have no licence to distribute 'ExampleAnimeWork' or any derivative thereof, they are breaking the law.

The copyright holder 'Company A' has to explicitly allow another company 'Company B or 'Company C' to distribute it in an agreed market.

There is no legality in the defence 'The company haven't licensed it in this market yet so anyone can fan-sub it'. This is not how the law works. You'd have to approach the original company 'Company A' and explicitly ask for permission to distribute it in a region, or over the internet and pay royalties / fees as agreed in the contract between your company and the originators company.

Last edited:

dashaman

Reaction score
the only reason i was asking if it was illegal to check was because some animes are fansubbed but are not yet licensed in the U.S. It is created in Japan therfore US Laws has not effect on what japan produces allowing us web admin to host it with the correct fansub. Since we are in the U.S.

Vault10

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. US and Japan are both is in some treaty about international copyright protection.

That it isn't persecuted and looked upon as something that will just happen anyway (Japanese companies at least have more common sense than RIAA) doesn't mean it's legal.

However, for countries not in such threaties, e.g. USSR works, it's OK.

Last edited:

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
i think its no.
as lambda said.
he is not more in staff but i think he already had answered those questions while he was in staff

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
The answer would be No. Unless you can contact the creator / owner of said work and get their permission to use it on your site.

Evocation

Reaction score
dattebayofansubs said:
hate to break this to you, but it is never legal to download or distribute copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder. This means it is illegal to download anime, whether or not it is licensed. The only thing that licensing changes is the probability that someone will be prosecuted. It is wishful thinking to pretend that it is “allowed” under any circumstances. That being said, unless you live in Singapore, you are unlikely to get into trouble for downloading or seeding the anime we sub. LOL Singapore,
lafnear
Thats from a fansubbing group themselfs...

recently ssubs was give a c&d for romeoxjuliet even though it isnt liecned in the usa

that being said if it's none profit, and you give credit to the copyright holder and it's not detracting from their own proffit, most won't do anything, but that doesn't really inclued whole movie clips, more like screenshots of a movie and outtakes etc...