Illegal?

toasterthegamer

Reaction score
You might want to check this out I did some more digging..

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-08/3

Legally, there is no difference between "fansubs" and "bootlegs". In the eyes of the law, both could be seen as damaging to the market. Regardless of whether or not a title has been technicaly licensed in North America, it is illegal. Lack of enforsement of copyright laws in terms of unlicensed fansubs maybe the result of several different factors. Some companies may believe that the early introduction of the title to North America is beneficial. Others may simply tolerate a "fan-activity" as long as it does not become too damaging to sales. And yet other companies may not want to or be able to invest the time and money necessary to prosecute foreign violations of their copyright.

In the end, regardless of ethics, or motive, fansubs are technicaly illegal.

shaunak

Reaction score
Simple rule: If you cant show it to your mom or to a lawer then you cant host it here!

dashaman

Reaction score
urm host it on like megaupload lol anyhow thanks guys ^^ i wasnt talking about uploading stuff to x10hosting's server shaunak. Thanks

furtoosh

Reaction score
Naruto and Bleach anime shows are copyrighted to their Japanese creators. So, it does not matter whether the second seasons of both animes are licensed in the US since both of them are copyrighted. Therefore, I believe it is illegal to distribute and redistribute copyrighted anime shows and edit them like, in the case of fansubs, adding subtitles. The license the fansubbers talk about is the right to dub and sub the anime shows. People who want to hold the license should ask the holders of the copyrighted anime shows and buy this right. Fansubbers are not doing this. So, what they do is obviously illegal.