Resolved Increase website disk space

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@ usax10h2
It might be best to start a new thread with your request.
staff dont always check old threads or ones already replied to.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
500mb are taken by the database, the table that holds almost all of that is the sessions table. By the looks the script you are using does not properly remove sessions since I'd say that it is not normal for it to grow this big, at least I never ran into it before (there's close to 2 million rows).

Taking a quick peak on that table shows that many of the useragents are bots (semrush bot comes up a lot).

You might want to check in on that, since as far as I could tell the oldest entry is no older then september last year.

For now, request is denied since this would need to be addressed and looked into before additional space could possibly be granted (if it had been the posts table for instance it would be different since that is actually part of the site in a much more direct way).

usax10h2

Reaction score
are you sure you looked at my site, the only thing installed on it is a mybb forum that your softaculous auto installer did.

also my site has been running since january 2016 with the oldest post made on january 31, 2016, It took over 5 years for the database to get to 500mb.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I did look at your site. The myBB does rely on a database, and that database has grown huge.

In that specific table relating to sessions, the oldest entry as far as I could tell is dated to September 2nd 2020, which suggests that it has been purged at some point, and may need purging more often then automatically set, or something has gone wrong with the script causing it to not purge at all.

Do you remember when you last upgraded the script? It could be a bug introduced causing sessions to not properly purge periodically. Or it may need an upgrade if you have not upgraded recently.

All entries does have a timestamp in UNIX format, you can use this site to convert to your local timezone: http://www.4webhelp.net/us/timestamp.php

usax10h2

Reaction score
Not sure when i updated last, it was whenever i signed in and it said a update was available, It show version is current right now.

I cleared the sessions table & database is down to about 3mb now, It is already starting to fill up with that semrush.com/bot again, I checked and until 7 or 8 months ago my database was barely over 100mb and since then it jumped to 500+ because of that semrush.com/bot, I have no idea who or what they are, Is there a way to block it from connecting to my site ?, I don't see a way to block an address.

usax10h2

Reaction score
I cleared all the sessions, added the bot and put it in banned users, and made a robots.txt file that said it would stop them, hopefully that takes care of it.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just a suggestion,
you could use an htaccess file to block them, probably the easiest way.
or if you want to try other more technical alternatives,
you could use something like cidram or the lighter version cidram-l
ive used the cidram-l on my website for years without any issues.
it might be worth looking into.

but the easiest way i think would be just to block the ip in htaccess.
using the " Deny From 127.0.0.1". But change the 127.0.0.1
to the ip or ip range you want to block.

usax10h2

Reaction score
Thanks i'll look into that, what i have done so far does not seem to be stopping them.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
every-ones different on the traffic they allow,
personally i try to block whatever traffic i deam as not actual people.
there are so many bots and cloud servers its pathetic.
and many just like your problem with semrush bot.
problem is as soon as one has you it shares with many others.
sooner or later you get overwhelmed just with bots and no people.
i used to use zbblock before but x10 servers kinda weird with it.
so i just replaced zbblock with cidram-l and some custom filters.
that worked well for me but if you do try it i suggest reading their faqs
first before you go trying to use it. but it is free and small in size.

something else i forgot to mention,
be sure you delete anything that ended up in the temp folder recently.
like if you deleted backup files they usually end up in your temp folder.
usually its auto purging after a certain time, but not most recent deletes.
that may help reduce file size on your server to.

Last edited: