Install SSL Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

shalerfb

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to install an SSL Certificate on my free x10Hosting account? Acquiring an SSL Certificate for the site is no object, as I have already done so.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Unfortunately we do not yet support SSL on our free hosting service, as our current setup requires a dedicated IP address for the SSL certificate to work properly. Dedicated IP addresses are only available for our x10Premium service. :)

Thank you,

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
The short answer is - NO

to use your own [ SSL(TLS) Certificate ] you need to 'own' a IP - which x10hosting's free-hosting accounts can NOT have

there is an extension to the TLS computer networking protocol - [ Server Name Indication (SNI) ] which might be available someday for free-hosting accounts

Last edited:

shalerfb

Reaction score
Thank you anyway. Do you have plans to support SSL in the future?

Edit: I posted this before bdistler posted. Sounds like it will not be possible in the future either. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It won't be possible to install your own cert, no, but there are plans to provide SSL in the not-too-distant future using SNI (the Server Name Indication extension to TLS) which is sort of possible these days only because IE on WinXP has finally died, for all intents and purposes. Without SNI, you do need a dedicated IP address because your domain/server name is not transmitted in the clear, which means that your traffic would need to be decrypted in order to figure out which account has the key required to decrypt the traffic... and computers HATE a Catch-22 like that. With SNI, x10Hosting will be able to use its certificate authority on all accounts, so there will be no need to provide your own cert.

usplayer

Reaction score
Hi i know this is an old thread but im trying to go through cloudflare for ssl. Has there been any change to this police that ssl is not avail for free hosting accounts.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Some users have had success using CloudFlare for SSL, but otherwise there's been no change on the server itself as far as supporting SSL goes without needing CloudFlare to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.