Installing via Composer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindstorm8191

Reaction score
Hi. I've been a member of your site for a number of years. I'm looking at doing a cool new project involving real-time multiplayer ship battles. With Node.JS this can be done using WebSockets (I haven't really messed with this yet, though). In PHP, there's a library called Ratchet. Info about it can be found at http://socketo.me/

I would like to start using Ratchet, but according to its own documentation, the best way to install it is by using Composer. Composer assumes you can run it from the command line.

Is there any way to access the command line through this x10hosting service, specifically for our own websites? I'm not necessarily looking for additional privileges, but would like to find a way to make use of Ratchet on the servers here. Or, would there be some other option to get real-time communication working? I'm considering all options at this point, so if you know of a solution I'll be glad to explore it.

Thanks

wooprapp

Reaction score
Hey there!
I inquired about this before but it lead me to a dead-end because it uses sockets. Sockets can't be run or maintained on their free hosting platform. But, you can however purchase a Virtual Private Server (VPS) and run it from there -as far as I know. However, personally on my own retrospect I find that as a financial frustration due to the very pricey world we live in Tech-Dev related.

So, if that works out for you than you can pursue it that route.

But, what I'd recommend on my side is to just run it using JavaScript and when I know my platform is financially stable then I can roll out sockets (unless you just want to self-host).

Self-hosting is pretty easy, but can be pretty risky due to your own Network Security. Because, websites and other online services usually get hacked or compromised that'd be bad if you had a lot of people snooping around on your home network. So, if you do choose to go this route make sure you take a lot of precautions, try and hide your real IP Address through some DNS work then offer out using your DNS somehow.

Personally, I know I keep a very strong security infrastructure here on my network and that I have decoys everywhere to alert me whenever any "strings" (traps) get sprung.

So, those basically are your only two/three options.

a) JavaScript/Self-hosting
b) Buying/renting a Virtual Private Server (VPS)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.