Is Chess a sport?

liamk12

Reaction score
i think it is becouse you have rules in it and you compete with another play so it probably is classed as a sport.

DragonsXPS

Reaction score
My opinion on chess whether it is a sport or not, is that it isn't an athletic sport but a sport for your mind, because it takes logic and strategy so you don't lose to the CPU or person your facing.

gamerdude

Reaction score
You have to use strategy and out think your opponent in a competitive way, therefore it is an intellectual sport (and that is what it is officially classified as).

tektrnica

Reaction score
From the same list you took those from, you conveniently skipped over this:

poetry is an active pastime, you wanna call that a sport too then based solely on that one definition.... plus i said the general definition.. not all say that.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
Is chess a game or sport?
Answer:

It's a game, not a sport. But it can be played as a competitive game.

Game is defined in Dictionary.Com as:

a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Sport is defined as:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Athletic is defined as:

involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

Since chess does not involve the use of physical skills or capabilities, it is not athletic. And to be a sport, an activity has to be athletic.

Thus chess is not a sport.

Those who maintain that chess is a sport point out that chess at the highest tournament levels requires physical endurance, since chess matches can last several hours, during which you have to be in top physical condition. The more physically conditioned you are, the better you will be able to maintain the intense concentration necessary to win such a long game. Furthermore, one often has to play matches lasting days or weeks.

However, this is a specious argument, since calling the ability to sit and concentrate for extended periods a "physical skill" is reaching. If this were a valid argument, then almost any activity would be athletic. For example, since waiters have to have stamina, waiting tables would be an athletic activity.

Of course, they have things like Billiards, Poker, and cup stacking on ESPN nowadays, so the answer is debatable. I would agree that it is not a sport, but many people will say that it is.

tittat

Reaction score
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively
chess meets the above condition.But chess offers no physical activity.Only mental.
Chess is a mental sports.

xiadow001

Reaction score
there are also varsity debate teams but I'm not sure if i would consider debate a sport

Oh.. yeah right... Then I guess they will have to start considering Debate as a sport... Well at least I think it fits the category.... errr.. it's a challenge and it's recreational(for some people) ... hehe....

Nandos

Reaction score
lol to me playing chess isn't amusing or a pastime. I can't even play it tbh. I think it isn't a sport because to me a sport is something that involves excercise.

manzoor

Reaction score
the dictionary define chess as :
sport n
1. competitive physical activity
2. pastime
3. somebody cheerful
4. somebody who plays fair
5. good companion
6. joking
7. derision
8. object of ridicule
9. somebody or something manipulated by others
10. gambler

yes chess is sport then

Zdroyd

Reaction score
the dictionary define chess as :
sport n
1. competitive physical activity
2. pastime
3. somebody cheerful
4. somebody who plays fair
5. good companion
6. joking
7. derision
8. object of ridicule
9. somebody or something manipulated by others
10. gambler

yes chess is sport then

Well yes... but if you said that you would also have to say Video Gameing is a sport... Which with thee above logic it is!

sfan123

Reaction score
I think it close to being a sport because it is really strategic ,but with there not being as many prople new playing it now with kids playing video games instead of it etc. That there won't be less and less competition in it as there used to be.

Nathan H

Reaction score
a) video gaming is a sport, there are international competitions and everything. also so is chess while sports like football(soccer) and rugby(american football) test physical prowess, chess and video games test mental sbility.

ASPX.King

Reaction score
chess is not a sport in my mind. a sport is something physical, like soccer, football, or pool. chess and monopoly are board games, video games are video games.
debate is debate.

hopper

Reaction score
a) video gaming is a sport, there are international competitions and everything. also so is chess while sports like football(soccer) and rugby(american football) test physical prowess, chess and video games test mental sbility.
there are also international poker competions and poker isnt considered a sport

it depends on how you define sport
by the loose definition yes video gaming, chess and to some degree poker would fit into the definition
by the more widely accepted definition of sport which involves athleticism then they would not
nascar and formula 1 racing and even horse racing are also under the same debate as to whether or not to call them a sport