Is IE, even 8, just effin broken?

headcoach09

Reaction score
I'm getting ticked off. I am making first website and trying to make it semi-useful. I'm trying to learn standards and use them but IE isn't cooperating.

My page is no longer up and just dummied down to text at the moment because of this issue. Any suggestions to help with the following are super appreciated.

I can get the w3.org html validator to validate me as xhtml 1.1 valid. The page works in Opera, Firefox and Safari. But bloody hell IE keeps trying to save the page! Even version 8.

I definitely had the correct headers. I have the extension .xhtml like my book says and a web tutorial. UTF-8 without BOM like the validator suggests. I just don't know what the heck to even do with it. Driving me nuts.

Anyone have any advice? I really appreciate any input or info or somewhere to direct me where the heck I can find it. x.x

risendead

Reaction score
You need to save it as .html

Some reason IE8 tries to save .php and .xhtml as a file when attempting to browse from your local machine.

I've never heard anyone speak highly of IE, it seems to be the bane of webdesign.

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a matter of MIME type. IE (even version 8) doesn't understand the "application/xhtml+xml" MIME type. You can serve XHTML 1.0 as "text/html", which IE will understand. XHTML 1.1 must be served as "application/xhtml+xml". Currently, HTML 4.01 strict has the most browser support, followed by XHTML 1.0 served as text/html.

headcoach09

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info on that. I was wondering I was just incredibly stupid (which I am to web stuff, total nooblet. I'm a gamer not a designer). It just didn't make sense though.

I have the free hosting account right now. I would like to move up eventually.. but, eh not enough dollars at the moment.

I noticed in the cpanel thing there is an option for mime types. I made a guess that I could change it to text/html but it didn't seem to work either. Then I paid a bit attention and read I can't change what the system has already set there...

For now I renamed it .html. Is there a difference by doing that? If there is, can I solve it on this hosting account at this time?

fguy64

Reaction score
take heart, coach. Many people have switched to Firefox, and many more will switch to Google Chrome once all the hiccups are ironed out.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
For now I renamed it .html. Is there a difference by doing that? If there is, can I solve it on this hosting account at this time?
There's a big difference in doing that. Essentially, Internet Explorer sees a .xhtml file and doesn't know how to display it, so it just tells you to download it. A simple analogy is with .exe files - when Internet Explorer comes across a .exe file, it doesn't know how to open it within the browser, so it asks you to download it so you can figure out what to do with it by yourself.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

That should work. Apache will send any file with an .html extension as text/html, which IE can handle. Other browsers will handle xhtml served as text/html without problem (though they may handle the page as HTML, rather than XHTML). An alternative is to use a <meta> tag to set the content type, but <meta> should only be used if you don't have access to the server config.

Speaking of server config, adding an "AddType text/html .xhtml" to my site-wide .htaccess worked for me. Using cPanel to add a MIME type should do the same thing. IE was probably using a cached copy of the page. Touch the xhtml file on the server to make sure IE re-fetches the page.

As for an .html extension rather than .xhtml, it generally shouldn't matter. To determine the type of a document, many browsers will try in order:
  1. checking Content-type header
  2. sniffing (MSDN has its own page on sniffing in IE).
  3. checking file extension
Sniffing might fail if you serve a document fragment, which you might do for a web application using AJAX. Of course, any method of guessing content type is not something that you (as a web developer) should rely on; your content should always have a Content-type header. Sniffing is for browser developers, so browsers can handle poorly configured web servers.

headcoach09

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information on this. It is nice to understand a bit more about what the hell IE is trying to do. In a little bit, or tomorrow, I will add the AddType to the .htaccess file. I tried changing again in cpanel and deleting the temp files in IE to see if it would show it properly, but it still did not.

I wish I could just say 'the hell with IE' but I guess every Windows user has it installed by default, so I would be saying goodbye to a lot of users? Even the book I have said that good design works cross platform and cross browser, so I need to take into account IE.

That is excellent news though that I can serve it as .html and text/html but the other browsers will actually pay attention to the DTD put at the top first, before going to the server text/html. So in theory, I can accomodate IE but not break other browsers?

I feel a whole lot more educated now, and I realize I probably haven't even got a drop in the bucket about IE vs everything else differences!

Thanks again! I'll post again to see if I can get it to work later!

fguy64

Reaction score
I wish I could just say 'the hell with IE' but I guess every Windows user has it installed by default, so I would be saying goodbye to a lot of users? Even the book I have said that good design works cross platform and cross browser, so I need to take into account IE.

Hey coach...

from a strictly philosophical perspective, sometimes standing up for principle involves sacrifices. Also, by taking a stand and refusing to knuckle under you make it easier for others to do so in the future. "It started with a trickle, and became a flood."

Besides think of the brownie points you'd get from the growing legion of Firefox supporters if you had a little blurb at the top of your page that said something like "Due to Microsoft's refusal to adhere to standards, this web page works well with all browsers except Internet Explorer".

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
[...] you had a little blurb at the top of your page that said something like "Due to Microsoft's refusal to adhere to standards, this web page works well with all browsers except Internet Explorer".
Users shouldn't be made to pay for Microsoft's failings. You'll also alienate the majority of users who don't understand the issues and technologies and who will blame you for any problems with the site. It's entirely possible to create great looking, flexible designs that follow best practices and work on the major browsers.

fguy64

Reaction score
Users shouldn't be made to pay for Microsoft's failings. You'll also alienate the majority of users who don't understand the issues and technologies and who will blame you for any problems with the site. It's entirely possible to create great looking, flexible designs that follow best practices and work on the major browsers.

Valid point, and duly noted, but users should also have the information with which to make good choices, and not just eat that which is placed in their mouths. And you know what? They sure as hell aren't going to get information about choice from Microsoft.

Maybe running into a site design such as I suggested might just open their eyes to a few things. And ultimately if the users pay a price, then whose fault is that? Coach's, or Bill Gates.

risendead

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest losing the IE viewers but alot of sites have a firefox icon somewhere in them spreading the word and everyday IE gets a smaller user base. So if IE bothers you enough you could do the same and throw your support to other browsers. Who knows maybe if enough people do this IE will topple over and throw in the towel. :p .... Or maybe they'll learn from their mistakes. ;)

fguy64

Reaction score
or maybe a link that says "click here to view this site using non-standard Browsers such as IE."

I love what Yahoo games did. A notice on their site saying, "we urge our users not upgrade to IE8 if they want to use our website". What a bunch of arrogant freaking pricks Microsoft are, intentionally making a browser that doesn't work with Yahoo Games. I guess that their lame duck way of f*&(^%$ with the competition. MS lost a lot of IE users with that dumbass move. :thefinger

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
or maybe a link that says "click here to view this site using non-standard Browsers such as IE."
That's not a very usable approach. Your design should put the user first, and not require hir to jump through any hoops.

I love what Yahoo games did. A notice on their site saying, "we urge our users not upgrade to IE8 if they want to use our website". What a bunch of arrogant freaking pricks Microsoft are, intentionally making a browser that doesn't work with Yahoo Games. I guess that their lame duck way of f*&(^%$ with the competition. MS lost a lot of IE users with that dumbass move. :thefinger
Except that it was Yahoo's move. IE8 is more standards compliant than IE7. IE8 can even pass the Acid2 test. Of course, "more standards compliant" doesn't mean "standards compliant". To be fair, I don't believe any browser is completely standards compliant, but this is difficult given that CSS 2.1 isn't finalized and CSS3 and HTML5 are still works in progress.

Last edited:

headcoach09

Reaction score
I would love to say the heck with IE. I just don't think I have the authority to make that decision while still working on my first site.

I did try the AddType to the .htaccess and it did solve the problem of trying to save the file. Unfortunately, Firefox then reports it is plain text/html in the page info. Granted. I don't have any xml or anything advanced on my rewritten 'under construction' at the moment, so it isn't a concern. Every book I read keeps preaching standards and compliance, but they also preach usability. Where do you draw the line?

Is there any way to let IE just be happy and think it is html while still sending xhtml to the other browsers?

Thanks again for all the info, education, and help!

fguy64

Reaction score
That's not a very usable approach. Your design should put the user first, and not require hir to jump through any hoops.

One extra click is jumping through hoops? I think not. Anyways, I don't really agree with your premises about the rights of the end user. If people are going to buy something, they have some responsibility to themselves to make sure it meets standards, i.e does it work. If they are expecting to be given smething for free, then they shouldn't mind going to a little effort to choose a product that meets standards.

[quote[
Except that it was Yahoo's move. IE8 is more standards compliant than IE7. IE8 can even pass the Acid2 test. Of course, "more standards compliant" doesn't mean "standards compliant". To be fair, I don't believe any browser is completely standards compliant, but this is difficult given that CSS 2.1 isn't finalized and CSS3 and HTML5 are still works in progress.[/QUOTE]

What was yahoo's move? They changed their site and it didn't work with the newest IE. Or IE changed their browser and it didn't work with Yahoo. Don't you think this so-called reponsibility not to aggravate the end user extends to Microsoft also?

We could go on. This is not about shoulds. And if anyone should be shouldering responsibility, than I don't think it is site developers, it is software developers.

Anyways, it kind of depends on your perspective. If your just coming from the perspective of someone who is trying to advise coach who wants his site to work hassle free with as many browsers as possible, then I'll defer to you on this one.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Boy, this is really getting off topic. Let me sum up my position at the start, then address your points.

1. As a web designer, you want a successful site. Supporting different browsers cost resources (time and effort) but gives you a larger potential user base. The more users you have, the more successful the site. Thus I usually go for a user centered design. If you don't have the resources to support a browser, then don't support it, as long as you realize and accept the consequences. For this same reason, software developers don't support Win98 or older versions of OS X (even 10.4 is considered an "old version" by some).
  2. The point of standards is interoperability, i.e. developers can write code that will work across different systems. If you don't support a browser, you're ignoring the point of standards. At the same time, standards are meaningless the more they are deviated from.

One extra click is jumping through hoops? I think not.
As a designer, you can generally find a way to make designs that work or degrade gracefully on browsers in use without requiring action on the part of the user. If the link is easily visible and doesn't get in the way, it's a large, easy to jump through hoop, but it's still a hoop. A well designed interface is transparent; from the user's perspective, it just seems to work.

Anyways, I don't really agree with your premises about the rights of the end user. If people are going to buy something, they have some responsibility to themselves to make sure it meets standards, i.e does it work. If they are expecting to be given smething for free, then they shouldn't mind going to a little effort to choose a product that meets standards.
In my view, it's not a matter of right so much as a matter of being pragmatic. The reality is that many users won't have the technical savvy to compare browsers. I know many people that don't even know what a browser is, nor do they care enough to take the time (there are, after all, more important things than what web browser you use). To them, it's all "the Internet". While I believe that it would be better for them to be informed, it's their choice to remain ignorant (no matter how much I try to educate them), and (as web developers), we have to live with it. Sad but true, the end user will blame the site, not the browser, when a site doesn't work for them. Even many Firefox users aren't actually aware of the specific issues, they just hear by word of mouth that IE "doesn't support standards" and "Firefox is better" (which is true overall, depending on the browser versions, though there have been instances where IE followed the standard and other browsers didn't). As a result, you get religious wars.

What a bunch of arrogant freaking pricks Microsoft are, intentionally making a browser that doesn't work with Yahoo Games.
Except that it was Yahoo's move.

What was yahoo's move?
Choosing not to support IE8. MS didn't make a browser that didn't work with Yahoo Games, Yahoo made a site that didn't work with IE. It wasn't a goal of MS to make IE not work on given sites, it was a side effect of trying to improve IE. They just didn't improve IE enough. That's not to say MS makes supporting IE easy. Maybe IE8's security model, while needed, was getting in the way. It could be because presence (i.e. object detection) is easy to test for, but behavior isn't. Whatever the reason, Yahoo chose not to test their site on IE and find workarounds for IE's behavior.

Don't you think this so-called reponsibility not to aggravate the end user extends to Microsoft also?
Only to some extent, which suggests there's a better rubric than "don't aggravate end users". MS should make IE standards compliant, and IE's behavior should be well documented and dependable, but they shouldn't make it bug-for-bug compatible. If they did, we'd never be rid of the erroneous behavior. It's one of the more difficult problems of maintenance and re-development: how to change behavior/add features while supporting legacy code/features/behavior? Eventually, you have to deprecate and then discard the old way.

MS did include the "compatibility view" feature so IE8 will behave like an earlier version of IE if the user so choses. Because it's a system-oriented task (rather than a user-goal oriented task; not certain if those are the best terms) and requires knowledge the user doesn't necessarily have, it's not a perfect solution, but is better than many alternatives.

We could go on. This is not about shoulds. And if anyone should be shouldering responsibility, than I don't think it is site developers, it is software developers.
Responsibilities aside, both have to deal with it, in different ways.

Anyways, it kind of depends on your perspective.
Very true; perspective and priorities. I tend to take a pragmatic view when it comes to the user experience, but stick to principles when it comes to design. In each I'm heavily influenced in my math training and the book "The Design of Everyday Things", which every designer should read.

And I hate supporting IE.

fguy64

Reaction score
OK thanks for taking the time. It all boils down to perspective and priorites. I'm not coming from the perspective of a pragmatic web developer. But my views on the way I'd like things to go are no less valid because of that.

The only thing we're going to have to agree to disagree on is the Yahoo/IE8 thing. You can call it what you want, but my bottom line is that IE7 worked fine on Yahoo, and IE8 didn't. And I for one support Yahoo, I hope they don't go to a lot of trouble to play catch up with Microsoft.

best regards.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The only thing we're going to have to agree to disagree on is the Yahoo/IE8 thing. You can call it what you want, but my bottom line is that IE7 worked fine on Yahoo, and IE8 didn't. And I for one support Yahoo, I hope they don't go to a lot of trouble to play catch up with Microsoft.
We don't have to disagree so much. I fully respect Yahoo for standing up to MS by refusing to support IE. The only point where we differ is that I credit Yahoo where you blame MS, which (as you say) comes down to perspective and opinion.

fguy64

Reaction score
We don't have to disagree so much. I fully respect Yahoo for standing up to MS by refusing to support IE. The only point where we differ is that I credit Yahoo where you blame MS, which (as you say) comes down to perspective and opinion.

Or two sides of the same coin. Anyways, we are now talking semantics. And you are right, we are pretty close on this.

I both credit Yahoo and blame MS. MS changed something, and it no longer works. If Yahoo is right, then MS is wrong. Something has to give here. cause things became broken. One could argue that maybe MS wanted people to switch from Yahoo games to MSN games. Maybe MS is still pissed that Yahoo rebuffed their takeover attempt. Maybe they don't give a damn about Yahoo. who knows. It is obvious that MS considers that they should be the one who sets direction.