Is My CPU Underclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
My processor is a 2.33 GHz C2D, but when I view the computer's properties it says 1.98 GHz below the 2.33 GHz speed:

16gmpeo.jpg

However, I have also seen it read 2.33 GHz instead of 1.98 GHz on some occassions:

34p1b2b.jpg

Any explanation? Is my CPU underclocked or is it just getting incorrect readings?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Some processors when you're not using them will underclock themselves to save energy and to lessen up the heat, and some will underclock themselves if they are getting too hot. Laptops underclock their chips all the time if you run it on battery or if it gets too hot. nVidia's new video cards underclock themslves to save power as well until you begin using the card. If anything, look at HWMonitor and check the temps of your CPU (idling temp should be below 35 Celcius with decent cooling). The BIOS from Dell prevents the clock speed on the CPU from being changed what so ever, unless it is chip-wise. Otherwise, it could be a mis-reading as well. See if the CPU clock speed goes down as the processor is not used (try using a program I think called Mark9 or whatever it's called to stress the system when this happens) or as the temps increase.

Last edited:

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Basically Smith answered it.

You can, however, flash the dell bios*I believe* to unlock some settings. Not 100% sure on this thou. *never tried*

~Blaze

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest going around flashing Dell BIOSs. I believe there is more of a chance of bricking an OEM based BIOS than a normal BIOS, but I may be wrong. I've never flashed an OEM computer, but I have flashed the BIOS on a few systems I've built.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Ah yes I finally found some documentation, it's due to Intel's "SpeedStep" driver installed by Dell. I noticed that when I was folding proteins with my CPU or GPU the 2.33 GHz is reported, but the moment I pause them they return to 1.98 GHz

This issue has been resolved, feel free to close. Thanks for all responses!

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ah yes I finally found some documentation, it's due to Intel's "SpeedStep" driver installed by Dell. I noticed that when I was folding proteins with my CPU or GPU the 2.33 GHz is reported, but the moment I pause them they return to 1.98 GHz

This issue has been resolved, feel free to close. Thanks for all responses!

Will do, if the issue pops up again, send me a PM and I'll reopen it for you (if you can't that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.