Keep existing DNS Host but point them to my .com hosted at X10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane1x10

Reaction score
I have a DNS host and am happy with the service. I have my own .com domain and used to host it on my own server. I am retiring that server at home and want to move my .com to X10 hosting. I set up a subdomain under <mydomain>.x1hosting.com and it is working.

Now I want to set up www.<mydomain>.com to directly get resolved to the new web host site. I understand how to use a parked domain to do that. But, I don't want to move my DNS and Mail to x10hosting. I just want to add a record at my existing DNS host to point to the new place.

I can do a nslookup and get an IP for <mydomain>.x10hosting.com. I can also see an IP in the cpanel for it. Setting my DNS record to either of those does not work. Entering those in a browser URL also does not work. There does not seem to be an actual IP address associated with the subdomain.

How can I keep my existing DNS host and set the record there to point to www.<mydomain>.com when it is hosted at <mydomain>.x10hosting.com?

I have set up stealth and URL redirect records. The stealth one looses the path on each page. The URL redirect puts <mydomain>.x10hosting.com on the URL. Not totally happy with either of those options. People like to copy and paste the path as part of the URL.

lylex10h

Reaction score
Change your name servers to x10 name servers, add your domain and then you can change the name servers back to yours.

kane1x10

Reaction score
Interesting ... That is curious how X10 handles domains then. If I try to go directly to the IP address, I get an error page. I didn't think telling my existing DNS to point to that IP would work. It is some kind of shared IP and can not be accessed directly. I would like to hear how it works on the backend.

I changed my domain register to resolve to ns1.x10hosting.com. Set up a parked domain at X10Hosting on my account. Moved my domain register NS records back to my existing name service. I used the IP that comes back when I do a nslookup on it. That IP matches the one in the CPanel "expand stats" frame under "Shared IP Address".

It looks like it is working. I will give it a few more hours to see if there might not be some cache somewhere making it work.

However, my MX records are in a weird state right now. Some email works, others do not. I am hosting my mail for my personal domain at zoho.com. I added a remote MX record to point to mx.zoho.com from X10Hosting in the DNS editor from the CPanel. I removed the MX record for my personal domain that was there by default. I am wondering if that may have been the confusion. Although, I would have thought that nothing should be asking X10Hosting about that anymore. A nslookup for MX records shows the right ones. I used a few online tools and they are all correct also.

I will have to give the MX records some time to settle also now. I will reply here when I know more about it.

kane1x10

Reaction score
X10Hosting set the TTL to 24 hours on the MX records. Now that 24 hours is past, it looks like mail is working everywhere I tested.

The solution to keeping an existing DNS service is as was suggested by lylex10h.

Change your registrars Domain Servers to X10Hosting.
Add your parked personal domain to X10Hosting.
I added MX records also, but that is likely not needed.
I removed mail.<domain>.com to keep it from resolving. Not sure if that was needed.
Changed the registrars Domain Servers back to the original DNS service.
Edit DNS records at existing DNS service to make an A record for <domain>.com that is the "Shared IP Address" in CPanel.
Make sure that www and ftp .<domain>.com are cname records for <domain>.com.
Depending on how you handle mail, you may want to make mail.<domain>.com a cname also.

Things like http and most mail moved back right away. Only one mail server tried to talk to the domain during the time that it was pointed to X10Hosting. That one tool 24 hours to update.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.