laptop issues, repairs, rants ugh ...

rolandr

Reaction score
my medium price laptop went kaput after just 1 year and 2 weeks. The Manufacturer's 1 year warranty expired and I did not have extended warranty.

Here's a tip, think about getting extended warranty if you purchase those affordable laptop say at Walmart, K-Mart, Staples, Office Depot, Office Mart ... these laptop now-a-days are like disposable product, once they break, you purchase a new one.

Here's my story:

I thought I encountered a bad battery or bad voltage supply so I brought my laptop to "Battery Plus". Before the cashier order the laptop battery, he thought it was best to check the battery and voltage supply. Both were o-kay so he said there's a serious issue with my laptop.

So I brought to a computer shop and they claimed the motherboard is bad and my model computer is notorious of having bad motherboards. This computer repair shop didn't think it was feasible to rebuilt this computer.

I'm bummed out because this computer dual boot with Window 7 and Linux (Ubuntu), and it had DVD-recorder drive and HDMI output ... not to mentioned Apache2 and all the other free Linux applications.

So ...

I do have a semester in computer repairs (desktop) but that was ages ago. Its it hard to replace a motherboard on a laptop? Just trying to weigh out the Pros and Cons of purchasing another laptop or refurbishing my current laptop.

anyway, thanks for listening.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It's not so much the difficulty of the task physically than it is the difficulty of keeping track of everything. Laptops generally require a complete disassembly to replace the motherboard. If you can keep track of what screws go where (there's a TON of them in a bunch of laptops) and you organize them, along with keeping critical components that do not come with the new motherboard such as the RAM, mPCI-E cards, etc with your screws, it shouldn't be too bad. It takes time to do though, and often computer makers have disassembly guides for their PCs. The only other thing that could be done would be to ask the Computer Manufacturer if they have an extended warranty due to the failing motherboard issue. Often times, though the PC will be out of warranty, manufacturers may warrant parts for replacement on the company's dollar if a common part has frequent problems.

It's really sad though that they make even computers these days "disposable" or made to fail in a short amount of time. If they aren't made to be disposable, it's always poor build quality. Frequently these days I see computers coming with cheap Thermal Paste that burns up after a week, or paste that was over applied and spilled everywhere (forget about this doing you any good), or inadequate cooling mechanisms that lead to premature laptop death. If it isn't an issue with thermal issues, keeping Laptops out of the picture, it becomes an issue with the lack of replacement flexibility for parts.

To this day, unless it's a laptop I build my own desktops as this gives me the flexibility to get parts, check their build quality and then install them. I have desktops I built in the early 2000s and even into the late 90s that still continue to work to this day. My gaming desktop, first built only 4 years ago is still running strong today. A few people I know have had their new laptops overheat or start to fail due to heat. What a shame :(

What model laptop do you have by the way? That would give me an idea of any known issues about the laptop.

Last edited:

rolandr

Reaction score
Thanks Smith6612, no kidding about desktop durability. I still have my Window 98 (and 2000 Pro, and XP desktops)! and still have my Dell laptop.

The laptop I have that the motherboard died is Hewlett Packard G71-340US. Yes there's motherboard replacements out there. My girlfriend's school computer tech is going to take a look at it. He thinks that computer tech that took a look at my computer just didn't really want to work on it. Kind of a shame since 17" screen, DVD-recorded etc ... repairs would have cost $300 plus which is about 45% of the value of the computer (and getting lower).

So it was one of those balance : repair? purchase a new one? Just that I put all this work on it : dual boot, not to mentioned all those personal things like music downloads, pictures, video clips all have to be transfer.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Just weighing all my options.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks Smith6612, no kidding about desktop durability. I still have my Window 98 (and 2000 Pro, and XP desktops)! and still have my Dell laptop.

The laptop I have that the motherboard died is Hewlett Packard G71-340US. Yes there's motherboard replacements out there. My girlfriend's school computer tech is going to take a look at it. He thinks that computer tech that took a look at my computer just didn't really want to work on it. Kind of a shame since 17" screen, DVD-recorded etc ... repairs would have cost $300 plus which is about 45% of the value of the computer (and getting lower).

So it was one of those balance : repair? purchase a new one? Just that I put all this work on it : dual boot, not to mentioned all those personal things like music downloads, pictures, video clips all have to be transfer.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Just weighing all my options.
I suggest you watch out for preused electronic component shops.
I think a few ics if changed,the motherboard should work fine.
The following are a few places where you find such
http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=58332&cpc=NEWARR
http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,G71-340US,VM114UA,Laptop,Parts.aspx

but these are new components and you might have seen anyway.
Build yourself in to hardware repair forums..like

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/HP-G71-340us-Issue/td-p/616127

and others and you may find a nice fellow who may sell that at a lower price or the laptop can be debugged.

rolandr

Reaction score
Thanks vv.bcc19, yeah, kind of weigh all my options. There's a few computer repair shops and individuals, and its like you say or implying (if I understand) that different repair person vary in the task and what's to be charged. The more I understand the problem with my laptop, then I think the repair shop can't pull the wools over my eyes.

Yeah, I may go for a used one with warranty. I kind of reluctant purchasing say from Walmart, or Target computer even though I could purchase extended warrant knowing these computer might be for the casual users not like me using it professionally and personally.

henk506673

Reaction score
also it is the price of the motherboard. sometimes it is worth it to buy a new motherboard and others it is a better choice to buy a brand new laptop. i would not go for a used one what ever you do because who says it will not break the day after you buy it and who says that the previous owner did not put a whole mess of viruses onto it

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah..the deadlock is with you currently.
But problems like these appear bigger if the times passes.If you want to get it repaired or to give up ..take a decision immediately and move on..
either ways bro..stay happy
Thanks vv.bcc19, yeah, kind of weigh all my options. There's a few computer repair shops and individuals, and its like you say or implying (if I understand) that different repair person vary in the task and what's to be charged. The more I understand the problem with my laptop, then I think the repair shop can't pull the wools over my eyes.

Yeah, I may go for a used one with warranty. I kind of reluctant purchasing say from Walmart, or Target computer even though I could purchase extended warrant knowing these computer might be for the casual users not like me using it professionally and personally.

rolandr

Reaction score
After a 'second opinion' (another repair person) its seems like this HP G71-340US laptop has a crappy motherboard - not worth repairing.

So warning, you pay for what you get ($699 worth of crap)

That's it, next laptop is ASUS, I'm following my intuition.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
After a 'second opinion' (another repair person) its seems like this HP G71-340US laptop has a crappy motherboard - not worth repairing.

So warning, you pay for what you get ($699 worth of crap)

That's it, next laptop is ASUS, I'm following my intuition.

What a bummer. Good luck with your next laptop, and hope it lasts as long as your older PCs have been lasting :)

henk506673

Reaction score
hps do have a tendency of overheating. i am not sure about asus, they might also overheat, good luck with your new laptop.

rolandr

Reaction score
Yeah, I think laptops do generate a lot heat and in such a small space ... yeah, I maybe carry those dual fan cooler that plugs into the USB ports for my next laptop.