Linux : Do you like it or hate it?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

coduk

Reaction score
So, do you like or hate linux, or are you in the middle????

Im in the middle, i suffer when using linux, all the time, just error after error, and all the effort you put into just intalling one thing, you dont think its worth it, cos with windows, it would have just been, install the exe file, thats it!!!!!! Ive just had a really bad experience with linux. :|

So what do you think???

BTW Im using linux right now, trying to set up a linux server for my IRC, i cant use my usual PC, as i need to carry it around now, and the windows of this pc is somewhat messed up, but im currently phailing badly... :(

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I like Linux. Starting off is a bit shaky and a bit tough, but if you know what you're doing, for free software it sure is good.

digitalfarm

Reaction score
Linux was hard at first but its cool.A free OS.It can help u out especial n learning

HomerJ

Reaction score
I love Linux. Its free, most distros are less bloated than Windows or Mac OS, and its way more usable.

winlux

Reaction score
Linux is really good, although if you are starting out new, often you will have no errors if you keep to installing just the default packages and everything that it recommends. I know this is not the best way of going around doing things in linux, but it would get rid of many errors and make life a little easier until you find your feet. So do all that and then start compiling your own software in a testing directory. Make sure the software doesn't have dependencies. Play around with the configure options compile see what happens, remove, recompile with different options etc. Then as you go on, you will soon get a hang of standard commands etc and most those errors would be resolved in a matter of minutes.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Linux is cool and can be used for many purposes, but for running games I still use XP. And my housemates can't handle anything that isn't familiar, which XP is.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Linux looks quite large and complicated when you start off, but once you get the hang of it, it gives you more possibilites than Windows. You need to have patience if you want to work with Linux.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
I like it, but from the perspective of a user and not an open-source fanboy, I'm not crazy about the way they've been selling it For one thing, who actually reads through the source code? Probably almost nobody. Also, people don't want to endlessly customize their operating system, they want to get it working and keep it so it never changes, and you don't have to learn a whole new interface. That's the problem I see with linux on the desktop, even with Ubuntu they have only really begun to gear it toward real people who don't fancy themselves as developers.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Windows takes my vote, because it's simple and runs most games natively. Wine on Linux isn't enough.

polishpirate

Reaction score
I like linux, I'm just not completely comfortable with some of the administrator functions. I have to take a linux class in school starting next week so hopefully it will show me the things I need help with.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I was intending to use both windows and Linux intil everything got installed, but I deleted windows by mistake :) I like it so far though.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you have a Windows Disk that you can use to put Windows back on, along with keeping Linux?

wiz4r

Reaction score
no Windows user can hate a Linux distro as Ubuntu. It is as easy as Windows.

ylapirrynag

Reaction score
I love Linux. I have only tried Red Hat 9, Fedora Core 7, and Cent OS 5. Out of them three I would have to say Red Hat 9 is best (the other two have either UI lag, missing essential things such as gcc [Cent OS did and made it impossible to install a lot of things], or both). I have a disktray with a windows XP and Linux drive (I am using Linux now, I use it for most of my development now except games, I need to learn how to make cross-platform games first) so whenever I want to play games I just load in Windows. Otherwise, I usually just use Linux.

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
I personally do like linux, although I'm not really committed to a full conversion. I'm actually getting back into linux right now.

The thing about linux is, just like with most things, developers don't want to make a Windows clone and because of this, people trying it as new(after years of forced Windows use) just can't adjust. Kind of like 'older' people trying to hop on a PC now days.

Linux is growing and will get bigger. Mainly because it is free. I am about to try Kubuntu 8.04(with KDE 4). The new Ubuntu(Kubuntu, etc.) can read and write NTFS partitions now, which means that Linux is definitely gaining more functionality and gaining on Windows. Eventually there will be better methods for getting Windows software and games on linux, other than the fact of developers starting to make programs that are actually for linux.

It is mainly about the right distrobution for you. There are hundreds. Ubuntu is always good(i prefer Kubuntu), DSL is nice once you've gotten used to linux. Sabayon is one that I love for support. So just do some research, Linux isn't all that bad.

JDizzle

Reaction score
I would take linux over windows anyday. So i have to say i like it. But just like windows it has it's ups and down. So honestly just depends on the day of week which i would pick

khanhduy301

Reaction score
-I'm in the middle.
-I'm very interested in Linux but almost important software cannot run in Linux.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.