Mac or PC

prox741

Reaction score
PC justs beats MAC all the way, Macs are just shinny computers if Mac would've been better than the PC they would have dominated the market, but guess who is doing that ? the PC and Microsoft.

deltavolt

Reaction score
Definitely Mac for me. I used to only use Windows (for around 8 years) but then got a Mac and now I cringe when I have to use my Dell.

To those who say PCs have more compatible software, I tell you this: Mac has more compatible software. I can run all Mac, Windows, and Linux programs on my MacBook Pro (I play Steam games) - can you do that? I believe that makes Mac much more compatible than a PC, no?

Now for gaming, I'm a heavy gamer. I routinely play Team Fortress 2, Portal, Half-Life 2, and Unreal Tournament on my Mac. All run smoothly without any lag whatsoever.

To the person above (prox741) me who said that Microsoft has market dominance and is therefore better: obviously it has market dominance, it makes cheap products. China has market dominance over almost everything, I guess their products must be better than anything made here in the United States, right? I guess a Toyota is better than a Rolls Royce too.

Seriously, most of these topics are completely pointless. The majority of the people who respond to them have never extensively used more than one operating system and are therefore poor judges of the other system's capabilities.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
A Toyota is better than a Rolls Royce. :biggrin: (for 4WDing, that is)

You say that Mac is more compatible than PC. Well my Vista machine can run probably 97% of the software out there with no modifications.

I used a Mac when I was at primary school, and it was rubbish.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To those who say PCs have more compatible software, I tell you this: Mac has more compatible software. I can run all Mac, Windows, and Linux programs on my MacBook Pro (I play Steam games) - can you do that? I believe that makes Mac much more compatible than a PC, no?
Really? Cool!
I've got an .exe that I need running on a mac. Will you test it out for me? If you can get everything working in it (show ample proof) and tell me how you did it I'll pay you 1000 credits.

deltavolt

Reaction score
Alexander, that was a long time ago. Remember Windows 95 or 98? That, too, was rubbish. My Mac can run 100% of the software out there with no modification, isn't that better than 97%? (We're not including ancient software I hope, one that no modern machine could run, correct?)

Ichwar, I could test it out for you though all you need to do is run boot camp and install a Windows partition on your Mac, then you can either boot into it or use Parallels, VM FusionWare, or another similar application to run it natively in OSX. I don't really need the credits as I don't see what I'd use them for.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Alexander, that was a long time ago. Remember Windows 95 or 98? That, too, was rubbish. My Mac can run 100% of the software out there with no modification, isn't that better than 97%? (We're not including ancient software I hope, one that no modern machine could run, correct?)

My name's not Alexander. ;)

Alright, I'll give you a copy of Gruntz from 1999 and see if THAT works on a Mac with no extra software. It works fine on Vista.

Also I was only at primary school when Tiger was around - about four years ago.

Last edited:

deltavolt

Reaction score
My name's not Alexander. ;)

Alright, I'll give you a copy of Gruntz from 1999 and see if THAT works on a Mac with no extra software. It works fine on Vista.

Also I was only at primary school when Tiger was around - about four years ago.

Indeed it isn't, I appologize, I must have misread.

If it works on Vista it'll run on my MacBook Pro just fine.

Was Tiger around so long ago? I suppose it must have just come out. Either way, it'd be like assuming that Vista was a huge success and actually worked as it should have and comparing XP with Windows 7.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ichwar, I could test it out for you though all you need to do is run boot camp and install a Windows partition on your Mac, then you can either boot into it or use Parallels, VM FusionWare, or another similar application to run it natively in OSX. I don't really need the credits as I don't see what I'd use them for.
Uh, uh. I'm talking about running the exe on the OSX itself, not on windows installed inside of or alongside OSX. Can you do that?

deltavolt

Reaction score
Uh, uh. I'm talking about running the exe on the OSX itself, not on windows installed inside of or alongside OSX. Can you do that?

Yes, you can use CrossOver to perform almost any Windows-task without actually having Windows installed.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice! Does it have full support for the .NET framework?

deltavolt

Reaction score
I don't really know, I'm not familiar with the product as I've never had to use it. I just used one of my older machine's Windows for my Mac and installed Linux on it instead.

http://www.codeweavers.com/
That's their website, you may be able to gleam some information from it.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I'll take a look into it. Using something like this would definitely be easier than rewriting a certain C# program in java.

casey roberts

Reaction score
I used a PC for years; still do occasionally. I personally prefer my Macbook with OSX for everyday stuff. The layout, UI, and the way things work just makes way more sense to me. Every time I use a PC now I feel like a moron because I have to jump through fifty hoops to get it to do what I want it too. Plus, I much prefer Apple's Pro Apps for video and audio. For photos, I like Lightroom and Aperture about equally, really, but I use Aperture for its integration with the other applications and operating system. Plus I won't have to re-format my OS every year now:biggrin:

theBruney

Reaction score
PC. As a computer geek, I like playing with different software. There is so much software available for PC. MAC is way to restrictive and seriously, propeller/command click is annoying.

deltavolt

Reaction score
PC. As a computer geek, I like playing with different software. There is so much software available for PC. MAC is way to restrictive and seriously, propeller/command click is annoying.

A Mac gives you access to all Windows, all linux, and all OSX software. How is that restricting?

plecosword

Reaction score
PC!
Mac are good for people who just do email, design, internet and im... its limited on programs
Linux is not people friendly, it makes a great, cheap server though. I will always prefer windows server though...

deltavolt

Reaction score
PC!
Mac are good for people who just do email, design, internet and im... its limited on programs
Linux is not people friendly, it makes a great, cheap server though. I will always prefer windows server though...

Limited in which way? I've been using mine for over 2 years and haven't found it limited in any way.