Mac vs Windows

Conor

Reaction score
Okay. Buying a new computer and considering a Mac. What do I need to know in order to make my decision? Comparisons. Why Mac over Windows? Why Windows over Mac?

Feedback please.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I wish I could give you an informed opinion on this, I have never used Mac so I wouldn`t be able to give a good opinion on that. I guess other than the fact that it would probably be more secure than Windows. (for viruses and spyware). I think I would stick with Windows just for ease of use and familiarity. Just my opinion though.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I would get WIndows you have nore features and It is just cool than Mac. That is my oppinion...

Conor

Reaction score
I don't need to know if it is cool though ;) I agree with bigguy on the familiarity issue but it helps to have a broad base of knowledge too.....decisions decisions...

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
I own both Macs and PCs, so I know both sides of the story. I also happen to sell computers for Best Buy, so I know all the answers to the questions you have. Here are a few questions you need to ask yourself before you decide.

1. Do you play any computer games?

Obviously, there are computer games for Mac, but most of them are developed for PC. That's simple enough.

2. Are you computer savvy enough to know what to do when you get viruses, spyware, or the like?

If you have a PC now, you probably already know about how big of a deal it is to keep virus/spyware definitions up to date. If you were to get a major infestation, would you be able to fix it in a timely manner, and without costing an arm and a leg to hire someone? Macs don't have nearly as many attacks, so they are easier to maintain.

3. Are you going to be making the switch permanently?

If you've been reading tech news lately, you may have heard the rumors of Apple switching to Intel chips in 2006. This means all the hardware that is currently on the market may be obsolete when new versions of software are released for x86 Intel chips, and not the old Motorola chips.

4. Do you want the ability to be able to upgrade?

While, yes, Macs are upgradable, and there are a few manufacturers who supply "after market" parts for Mac, PCs have the benefit of Free Market Competition. Different companies try to make their hardware/sortware the cheapest, so you end up getting the best deal. With a Mac, the selection is limited.

5. Do you now, or have you ever had problems with security on your computer?

PCs are riddled with security holes that allow many different types of people to get personal information without your knowledge. Macs, while not air-tight, do run a more secure platform.

6. Which are you more familiar with?

If you're using a PC now, have you ever used a Mac before? Would you be willing to spend $1000 on a system that you have no experience with? While the interfaces are very similar, there are differences.

7. Do you now, or do you plan to do any digital imaging/video?

Anyone who works in these markets will tell you that a Mac is, hands down, the superior in terms of graphic design and video editing capabilities. Take the new xBox 360 from Microsoft. They do their game development on Mac G5s. Not PCs running Windows XP. Goes to show Microsoft's trust in their own products.

8. Is look a thing that's important to you?

While, yes you can get PCs that look nice and have nifty lights on them, nothing comes close to the sleek, clean look of a Mac.

That's just a short list of the questions you need to ask yourself. No one here can make your mind up for you, but it's up to you in the end. At work, I've met people who made the switch to Mac from PCs and wouldn't go back in a million years. I've also met people who own Macs, who need PCs because Mac doesn't support the software they need. Really, it's all personal preference.

If it were me, I would just get Linux. :laughing:

Conor

Reaction score
Wow thanks for that Magistrate. I will have to do some more research into what you were saying about the Intel chips.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Actually there is an article here about it, if you want a bit of reading to do

golz

Reaction score
Whoa neat! I got educated by that and I'm not even buying a computer :grin: Hey Magistrate, I have a question... I'm planning on buying a laptop when I graduate from highschool so that I can take my school work with me and work on it anywhere. I've seen and used a Mac laptop, and I owned a Windows laptop. Even though I want the laptop to be mainly for school work, I still want to be able to play certain games and such. Which would you recommend?

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
@golz(and everyone else...)

Unless you're planning on spending almost $2000US for a gaming laptop, don't expect to be able to play games whenever you want. My roommate bought a laptop for college thinking he could carry it around with him.... He doesn't. It sits on his desk all day.

People come into Best Buy wanting to buy a laptop and still be able to play games on it. The problem is... you can't. Laptops are meant to be portable. If you want to play something newer than Half-Life you're going to need ramped up specs on a new laptop. Ex. Most laptops on the market, which are under $2000US only have 64MB of video memory; even with a nVidia/ATI graphics card. And we all know what video games are requiring now a days. On the flip side, if you do get a "gaming" laptop, you can expect to have it weigh in at more than 12lbs; not very "portable" if you ask me....

My suggestion to you is, if you're looking to be able to use your laptop on the go, invest in a Mac. Preferably a powerbook because they have longer battery life than any PC on the market; even Centrino laptops.

There is an unspoken rule about laptop purchasing...

1. You want more performance, you pay more.
2. You want a larger screen, you end up with more performance, and you pay more.
3. You want a smaller screen, you pay more.
4. You want a model that is 6 months old.... you get a great deal!

P.S. If you like these posts, please click the little smiley face and add to my reputation. Thanks.

bigfurrydemon

Reaction score
Why is Linux not here?

Geez, the Mac and Windows monopoly pisses me off. My friend didn't like either and didn't have Linux, so he resorted to using DOS.

Now that's sad.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
bigfurrydemon said:
Why is Linux not here?

Linux isn't here because of the monopoly Microsoft has on the market. If you buy a new computer, it comes with Windows XP. There is no getting around that. And there is no point in installing Linux on a new system when you just spent another $150 to have Windows on it.

Now, if you bought a bare-bones system without an OS on it, then you would be best off installing Linux, 'cause it's free.

But really, the people asking questions here are looking for a system, with an operating system that has a certain amount of familiarity and reliability. Linux, while possibly superior to both Windows and Mac OS, is still an OS that is not designed for dekstop use. Linux is best suited as a server OS.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I have to disagree about one thing. I think linux makes a fine desktop o/s. I know alot of ppl that run it just for the sole purpose of stability and reliability, and by now I would guess there is a certain amount of familiarity that comes with that o/s. We are going to be hearing alot more from them so lets not put them on the back burner yet. :)

Just my opinion.

Conor

Reaction score
True. I still think though that Windows are going to be the front runner for awhile. Especially with their newest OS being worked on as we speak. Windows Longhorn. Google it.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I know all about Codename Longhorn. I have that dual booted at home with Windows Xp Pro. I gotta say so far I`m impressed with it and all I have is a pre-alpha copy.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Matthews255 said:
Windows Server 2003 on a pc anyday :grin:
That reminds me... I have a copy of 2003 that I should install on something.... It's awesome when your school gives free [expensive] software to it's Comp. Sci. students. :grin:

Neuromancer

Reaction score
I really dont think that the Mac argument of "better at video editting" holds true anymore. When the statement was made the G5's had just come out and were 64bit processors... everyone else is 32 bit. So yes it was better and encoding.

The same was said of intel Pure speed made it better at number crunchingthen AMD (that also is not true anymore)

Consider also the fact the steve jobs said Intel is making better chips then the powerPC (now that they went 64bit), hence the switch to intel. Also consider the factthat the PowerMacs that were so good at decimating windows were $3,000 machines that were competeing against $1000 PCs.

Another thing to consider (and its going to kill apple)

They are switching to intel. Which has consistently been out performed for less money by AMD over the last 18+months, and with the news of future comings from intel, it looks like AMD will continue that hold for a while longer.

If you are really looking for performance go with a 64bit AMD chip. You can pick up a 2800 cheap and overclock it with a half decent aircooling setup to outperform a stock FX-55!!! (Of course that FX-55 also overclocks quite nicely)

Even hollywood is making the switch to AMD 64's.

There is nothing wrong with Mac. But... I started building my own computers because HP and compaq are so dang proprietary that they were impossible to upgrade well. And appple is even worse then them. If you want a future proofed box, ATM you need a PC not a Mac. (Also with the inclusion of hypervisor on the next windows release, it is possible you might be able to run both Oses on the same machine! And at the same time!!!)

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Yep thats some good advice, Amd, as far as I`m concerned is the better chip.

If you are really looking for performance go with a 64bit AMD chip. You can pick up a 2800 cheap and overclock it with a half decent aircooling setup to outperform a stock FX-55!!! (Of course that FX-55 also overclocks quite nicely)

I dont like this idea at all

(Also with the inclusion of hypervisor on the next windows release, it is possible you might be able to run both Oses on the same machine! And at the same time!!!)

I think this means alot more problems than a person needs.