Mac vs Windows

Conor

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
I also think that linux is a good OS but not as good as Windows!
Try to make your posts a little 'meatier'.

Well now I am looking at different types of laptops. Any suggestions on manufacturers, or processors and such?

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I think that you should get a Dell or a Sony becasue those are one of the best brands. Then for the proccesser I think that you should get a Intel Centrino is you are not a gamer. If you are get a Intel P4.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Conor said:
MicrotechXP said:

Well now I am looking at different types of laptops. Any suggestions on manufacturers, or processors and such?
Your descision is really dependent on what you're going to be using the computer for, and how much you're willing to spend. As for which brand to get, it's up for debate which brand is the best. Each brand has a niche in the market. For example(these are generalizations with exceptions for every manufacturer):

Sony: Sony makes high-end Media-Center laptops and highly mobile on-the-go laptops.

Gateway: Specializes in performance in sleek small form-factors.

HP/Compaq: Makes work-horse laptops that have all the features of a desktop in a portable medium as well as "budget laptops".

Toshiba: Affordably priced entry-level laptops as well as high performance desktop replacements.

Dell: The blanket company. Dell tries to make every kind of laptop, specializing in Economy, Gaming, Multimedia and On-The-Go laptops.

While each company makes a different type of laptop, one is not better than the other. Yes, Sony make very expensive laptops, this doesn't mean they are any better than an affordably price Gateway. It all depends on what you're using it for.

[opinion]
Ok, in my personal opinion, you should stear clear of Dell because of it's heavy reliance on it's proprietary hardware and "Dell Only" service. If your Dell laptop needs repairs, you have to turn to Dell for replacement parts. Only Dell Certified Technitions can install Dell hardware, which means you'll be paying top-dollar for labor. Other companies have repair service tech in stores such as Best Buy, Circut City, CompUSA and Micro Center. You can take your laptop to one of these places and they can get the parts from the manufacturer while you stand and talk to a person face-to-face instead of over the phone[as with Dell].
[/opinion]

Ok, now that that's over, back to hardware. Which processor you get is also heavily dependent on what you'll be using it for.

Celeron M: Affordable, low-power cousin of the P4. It'll do "everyday" tasks, but if you ask much more of it, it'll get cranky. Systems with a Celeron are usually shipped with low-end graphics cards, so they aren't great for much more than watching a movie and browsing the internet. Battery-life is average.

AMD Athlon XP: You rarely see one of these processors in a new laptop anymore, but it may pop up. Think of it as a nice go-between in the middle of a Celeron and a P4. Good performace, for the price. Average battery-life.

Pentium 4 M: Your work-horse of a processor. Even though it's in a laptop, you'll still see great performance out of this processor. But expect to see lots of features and heavy laptops with P4s in them. Usually a P4 is put in a "desktop replacement" laptop, or a laptop that is going to have all the features/power of a desktop. Expect a good graphics (ATI/nVidia) chip with one of these. Gaming laptops almost always have a P4. Low battery-life.

AMD Athlon 64: A great processor when put in a laptop. You'll see benefits over a P4 in performance in the right circumstaces. For example, if you'll be doing a lot of development on your laptop, you'll see great results from 64-bit computing that you wouldn't from 32-bit. You'll also see performance in gaming with features such as Hyper-Transport and a large Front Side Bus. Low battery-life.

Centrino: I saved this one for last because a lot of people mistake this for a processor, when in fact, it's a whole system technology. Centrino technology helps you get the most battery life out of your computer. Some people claim that they can get almost double the battery life out of their new Centrino laptop as they did out of their old non-Centrion one. The biggest draw here is, you should expect to pay top-dollar for one of these systems no matter what the specs are. Usually these laptops are meant for on-the-go performance, but manufacturers have started making Media-Center laptops with Centrino inside. Expect High battery-life.

In the end, it'll all a matter of finding out your needs and identifying what features you really need in a laptop. If you're looking to save money, try looking at old models that are soon to be discontinued, as they'll have the deepest price cuts. If you're going to be using the laptop on the go, and you have the money, definitely go for a Centrino laptop. If you're looking to buy a laptop to replace an old desktop you'll probably end up with a P4, or Athlon 64 depending on which manufacturer you like best. Keep in mind, Longhorn will be 64-bit, so an AMD 64 could be a nice hold-over into 2007. ;) If you're like me and you have a budget of $0 and you need a laptop now feel comfortable getting a Celeron. It'll do all the stuff you need it to do on a regular basis... like check the x10hosting forums.

P.S. As always, if you found this post helpful, please add to my reputation.

P.P.S. From all the information I've gathered about the whole Apple-Intel deal, it's best to not purchase anything Mac until the new Intel-based Mac systems start shipping. I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I'm thinking I'll wait to get a new one and get a PowerBook with Mac OS X Leopard when it comes out in 2007. I'll have graduated college by then and will be needing some new toys.

dsfreak

Reaction score
Well, personaly for me it would tie. I like having a safe, secure computer (mac). Yet, I like having a lot more software available (windows). However, I do know Windows quite a bit beter than a mac, being that most of my life I have used Windows. However, I like the feel of Macs. So, like I said, it would tie for me. Also, great post Magistrate.

Conor

Reaction score
I have to say that I agree with you Magistrate. I have pulled out of the Mac market due to their annoucement about the chip change. I am looking at some Gateway laptops ATM....does the processor speed make a big difference on laptops?

Neuromancer

Reaction score
Conor said:
MicrotechXP said:

It depends on your desires. If you are looking for a business/ schoolwork machine, then Dell is definitely more then adequate. I would recommend an upgrade on RAM no matter what platform you get.

If you are looking for a mobile media center, again dell. Sony's are over priced IMHO.

Pentium-M's are great chips and I definitely recommend one unless you are looking for the last option.

If you want a mobile gaming platform. There are more options, specifically the 64bit AMD chips :)

As for Powerbooks, I do not have a lot of experience with them, but they are highly recommended. The major drawback is there will never be a G5 powerbook. The decent G4's also run so hot they can hardly be called "laptops." This is all just from stuff I have read.

My aunt just purchased an Averatec 3270 12" and it is sweet. 1.6GHz Sempron 2800 mobile processor half gig of ram and decent video package in a 12" package for 800 bucks after rebate at staples.. that about 100 dollars cheaper then you will find it online. I got to set it up for here, and I was surprised at the responsiveness of it. I am primarily a desktop user and I compar all laptops to them. This one would hold its own against all the Dells you see advertised on TV (the desktops.. it would smoke the laptops they advertise)

Also if you do go buy Dell, dont listen to their tech guys get recommendations elsewhere.. they have no cl;ue what they are talking about. My boss bought a half dozen workstations from them and they said the 128MB of RAM was enough to run XP pro with microsoft office business edition (BTW they had SHARED memory video :eek:) Needless to say after waiting 10 minutes for boot up to finish, I finally told him to get more RAM or I would not work on the machines ;)

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
All this is real good advice, but if you want a good machine nothing can replace building one from scratch yourself. IMHO

AsPeRiTy

Reaction score
OK if you want a laptop i suggest the fujitsu lifebooks or a powerbook. Mac is known to being a little more user friendly so if your a n00b to computers and you want something simple then i suggest powerbooks. If you have moderate-high skill with computers get the lifebook by fujitsu, never have used one but they have gotten great reviews and I have talked to people who have them that love them.

DylanJCraver

Reaction score
Here's my theory: If your just using Word Processor, Internet, and E-Mail, totally go Windows. Linux should only be for WebServers, seeing as how there's no support for anything, and it sucks. Macs are great for webdesign, photo editing, and I use them for Movie Editing. Good for recording music too. Plus they look nice.

acousticism

Reaction score
you need mac period. and let me tell you why in the best way I know how... Mac rules! But, seriously, Macs NEVER crash... ok, they RARELY crash... windows systems are SO unstable, and are always giving you error message after error message. Macs just run a lot smoother, and have a lot of cool features. The new macs with the os x tiger op. systems are awsome! You can easily have several programs running at the same time without your computer slowing down... try opening 10-20 programs with windows... you'll start running into problems. Everyone knows that Mac computers are better than Windows... yes, macs aren't compatible with some programs, BUT, you won't ever crash or get viruses!

darkblade

Reaction score
I got to say that Windows is better, only because I am so use to it.

DylanJCraver

Reaction score
Yeah, I still think, It would be good to switch, even if you really like Windows. I think Mac is just really nice.

limelight

Reaction score
puddleofmud said:
is there more software for macintosh or windows? just wondering.

Would like to know that too.

I think I'm turning into more of a mac boy myself. I'm gonna get a iBook soon too.