Mahara MySQL UTF-8

edcox8646

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm trying to setup an e-portfolio for my students to use as a back up for their ICT coursework as the school servers aren't too reliable and don't offer the opportunity to access work off site.

I think I've almost got Mahara set up but there seems to be a problem with the MySQL database.

When I log on to my website ecox.x10.mx I get the following error message:

You are not using a UTF-8 database. Mahara stores all data as UTF-8 internally. Please drop and re-create your database using UTF-8 encoding.

I've gone in to phpMyAdmin and it says that it is using MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8).

I really am stumped and don't know what to do, if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate them.

Many thanks,
Ed

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Where did you look in phpMyAdmin? You can set which character encoding MySQL uses for many things: for connections, the server, databases, tables and columns. Make sure you're checking the character encoding for the database (and tables, while you're at it). You can check the collation (hence encoding) from the "Operations" tab, or by executing the statement:
Code:
SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.schemata WHERE schema_name=[i]?[/i];
where the ? is a stand-in for the database name.

Changing the default collation for the database from the "Operations" tab should set the default encoding as well. You could also execute an ALTER DATABASE statement to set the encoding. Similarly, you can change the table default collation (and hence encoding) from the "Operations" tab, or with an ALTER TABLE statement.

Note you should still be able to edit your post and disable smilies, so the "(utf
cool.png
" will show as "(utf8)".

Last edited:

edcox8646

Reaction score
Brilliant thank you so much for this has worked a charm. Sorry for delay I've started back at work now so haven't had too much time to tinker.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Ed :smile: