Metropolis - create your own city game!

Tarzan

Reaction score
So, finally, the game is ready for some testers!

Sign up and create your own city if you want to, or just stroll around the pages and see if you like the design (and especially if it looks quirky in some browser - yes, I've even tried to make it work decently in IE6).

www.metropolisonline.org

jcscherer82

Reaction score
Overall the site looks good. Just when you get the chance, it looks very web 2.0. I understand that you are mainly going for the game but to promote the game you might want to update your image. I understand also that you are trying to fit it in with all of the other browsers but that does not mean that you could not add some jquery or a little javascript in there.

Here are my points on where you should work on the site.

1. Please get rid of the clip art. It looks very cartoonish and not at all something I would want to play. People will play something if it looks slick and clean. The clip art image makes it look like you are some eight year old kid trying to build a website.

2. The overall design is very bland. Add in some effects or add in some more information. With nothing on the page, it makes it look like it is barren and so no one will go to it.

3. Again, I stated it above but add some interactivity to it. My favorite library to do this is jquery. Add in some accordion effects or a date or something like that. Adding in this type of work is browser supported (most are even supported under IE6) and it just adds some cool functionality to it.

4. The colors are not very pleasing to the eye. I would personally go with a different color scheme. If you need help with this I can help pick out a better color scheme for the website.

Overall, the website is planned. Again, I understand that your main focus is on the game but the website needs to be taken into major consideration. If you need some consultation with design feel free to ask. Again, all comments are just constructive criticism and I am just trying to help. I hope this helped you out.

//Signed//
Justin C. Scherer

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think your game has potential, needs some graphic work as noted above.

I think the game has potential, and that I like. Color scheme is fine for me, but then you should take a survey to see what others want best, or lookup what is pleasing to the eye. The clipart as noted above as well is something I would change, I'm no graphic designer, but I know for a fact, if you made that site, you can definitely find something to help you with the graphics.

Justin C. Scherer did a good job with the constructive criticism, with what he said, I must 2nd it...with that note,

I believe there is potential to it, just work on it, with dedication and persistance you'll do well to make it right.

Also note...when I clicked on anything on the left menu...it showed me an error...

Tarzan

Reaction score
Thanks for the input both of you!

1. I do understand that I need som graphics. I hope I'll find a designer who would like to do some artwork since I suck at it. I actually thought the image I have now was a good alternative (many online browser games have a rather cartoonish design) but aparently I need to change this for something better looking :)

2. What do you mean with more information? Do you mean more game statistics and game information? As you've pointed out, the main focus hasn't been on the design, but I'd like to do everything I can to make it interesting to play.

3. I'm actually not that fond of lots of javascript effect. But I might rethink this if you think it would make it look hotter. My belief is that the page should be usable without javascript, but since the in-game map is made with ajax, one would probably need javascript anyway to play.

4. Interesting. Personally I think the colors look ok, but I've been working with it for some time so I've gotten used to it. What is it that you don't like? Is it the combination of colors, or do you think it makes the text hard to read?
Maybe I need some opinions from more people to come to a conclusion on this one.

I'm glad you like the idea and took some time to evaluate it. Your feedback is appriciated.

By the way, John, what was the error you encountered? Was it on the main page or in-game?

Last edited: