Minimum post count to apply for hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Daniel

Reaction score
I believe that there should be a minimum post count for applying for hosting. (ex: you need 20-30 good posts [not spammy or double posts] in order to apply for any of the hosting packages) This would help prevent users from just signing up and not being active on the forums. I also believe that it would decrease the amount of people that would signup for hosting and use it for things against the rules. (because it requires posting to apply for and then some people would be too lazy) Of course this would not apply to those who pay for hosting. This is just my opinion of course.

limelight

Reaction score
Yea, but having it higher would be much better. I have to agree with you.

Woodsup

Reaction score
Isnt that kind of missing the point of this site? Its a hosting company with a forum, not a forum with priviliges for the people that spend their time posting. Surely the people with real websites spend more time on them than the forums?

raynor

Reaction score
What, in your opinion, is deemed a "useless hosting account". Is it the guy that has a one page website about himself with the X10 hosting banner on it or the guy with a decked out php website with forums that produce ice cream out of your 3 1/2 floppy drive?

In my opinion it shouldn't ever be required to be active on a forums, as long as you regularly visit the TOS and keep your site within its guidelines. You can't force people to post to get a website, then there wouldn't be anything BUT spam. If a person feels that they have something to add to the discussion then they will post, that is how forums work.

Leon1

Reaction score
that is a good idea, some one will give you credits on that

stylez

Reaction score
i reckon your idea is complete crap honestly. ADS are fine/

chaganlal1

Reaction score
Well i do agree 40 percent because some people apply and then be unactive in the forums, which is ok with me just that theyre unactive makes the forums community kinda dead then its suppose to be.

n4tec

Reaction score
Auvee said:
Nah, the ads should be good for now, it doesn't need to be posting required + ad required hosting, meh

-Auvee B.

It agree with Auvee.. If x10 were to resort to post for hosting certainly you would need about 2500 post to apply for x10 corp which sucks.. that is why post for hosting host suck...

-Daniel

Reaction score
What I was recommending was to have a minimum 'low' post count (ex:20-30 posts) in order to apply for any type of hosting. Which means that you could get any plan with only 20-30 posts. I just think that it would encourage forum activity but if that's not the type of hosting you want this site to be then that's fine with me. It's just that I've seen too many good hosts go down in the dust and I'm just crossing my fingers that x10Hosting does good.

bin_asc

Reaction score
Well thats a bad idea.People who use x10hosting use the forums for support,talk and to see the lates threads.x10hosting is the best.

funindia

Reaction score
I think we should pay points to keep our web space/plan active, like few points every month deducted to keep your account alive.

Approximately all free hosting service providers are giving account for some points eared in the their forum. X10hosting has its own image, so it should not do like others.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, just to clarify something here, i'm one of the so-called "doesn't post on forums" people that this idea would hurt. theres two reasons i havent posted until now: 1, my questions were already answered by reading other topics, and 2, i havent had anything useful to say.

to be honest, if x10 goes to having to post for a hosting plan, you'll never see me here again. i have a freewebs page that quite frankly sucks, but i'm not about to start posting just to get a host that lets you use php free. i cant really see the point to being required to post stuff, because then you'll get what i see all the time on the gamemaker forums(google it if you want. you'll get 5 people replying with the same answer. when confronted with why the last 4 replied with the same answer, you seem to get the same excuse: "didn't read the topic." how would you weed posts like that out? its not against the rules to not read the topic(although its a very good idea to), and if 5 people all post the same solution to a problem, their posts are all helpful. makes it kinda hard to define "useless/spammy"

and also, as it seems everyone is saying, you'd end up with alot of spam or duplicate questions just to get the post count to 20-30. its kinda like saying "hey, you're ugly" to a guy with a shotgun - not entirely safe. now, i can maybe see something like changing the maximum space and bandwith to something lower for anyone with less than say 30 posts, but thats only because x10 offers way more than anyone else, and they could cut it in half without really making themselves worse than any of the other hosts(but existing hosting members might not like their bandwith/max storage suddenly being cut in half).

incase you're thinking "too long, didn't read," heres a short version:
requiring minimum post count to apply for hosting: bad
cutting max bandwith/storage in half for users below x posts: ok
not changing one thing: Words cannot express how awesome it is right now.

khr1z

Reaction score
i guess a minimun posting required wouldn't work because you'll see those people posting to get their account and then they'll forget all about the forum. So the only thing that will bring is going to be junk topics.

Kurther Reich

Reaction score
Woodsup said:
Isnt that kind of missing the point of this site? Its a hosting company with a forum, not a forum with priviliges for the people that spend their time posting. Surely the people with real websites spend more time on them than the forums?

I agree with you mostly. I've been to many other hosts who make you post, a certain given one time amount, or many times a month, and sometimes both. This site was different, and I liked it, And thats why I'm here. Quick replies in Forum, same with aplicants, and you don't have to post.

However, there are some people who steal your services by being innactive, and thats wrong, and there should be a punishment or sometin, but I don't think it's becoming like every other host. Theres gotta be another way to go about this.
-Reich

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We will never require you to post to keep your hosting. We added points and rewards in for those people who like to post and help others. We will be staying strictly to the way it is now. ;) There are a lot of people who visit the forums everyday who never post and that is fine.

-Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.