Resolved "Missing a temporary folder" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifixtech

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to blast through this issue for many hours now but haven't seen to come up with a resolution for my "icapturevisuals" website. A little backstory: I was over my data quota (of 500Mb) and decided to delete the domain and softaculous WordPress installs to start from scratch. I readded the domain, fixed DNS records, and started a new install of WordPress using Softaculous (while DA is on PHP 7.2 native).

But, I'm running into a problem where whenever I try to upload a file (be it a theme or media) I run into the "Missing a temporary folder" error. My error logs show: PHP Warning: File upload error - unable to create a temporary file in Unknown on line 0

I have tried the fix of editing wp-config.php and adding the line:
define('WP_TEMP_DIR', dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-content/temp/');
And created the temp folder with full permissions. I also verified permissions for the rest of the files/folders of the install. The other fix I've tried is creating a php.ini file to specify a tmp directory to no avail. I've tried almost every version of PHP, and sometimes that created new problems of losing the database connection despite correct database info/credentials. I suspect this is server-side and the true tmp folder (wherever it is) may not exist or doesn't have write permissions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Any temp folders created should be in your public_html directory.
server folders (below the public_html should never be touched)

the actual path should be
home/user/domains/domain-name/public_html or just
root/domains/domain-name/public_html/

that is where folders belong when you install scripts for your website.
if you put them anywhere else the scripts would never find them.

i assume it is an issue with the wordpress you try to install.
but im not 100% sure as i dont use wordpress anyway.
but id suggest downloading wordpress then installing,
i wouldnt use softalicious for the install.
but thats just my opinion.

ifixtech

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

That directory is where I have my temp folders. I agree in thinking it may be a wordpress issue so I'll try installing without using softalicious and see where it gets me.

Status
Not open for further replies.