Monitor turning Yellow[Help]

tittat

Reaction score
I have a17" CRT monitor.
I dont know why but now my screen is turning yellow as soon as it switched ON.sometimes when i gave it a smack,the color restores.
I checked the connector pins and found nothing wrong.
Oppps What could be wrong??? Any idea???

peejay

Reaction score
It definitely sounds as though the blue line is dodgy, and, if giving it a smack cures it, it sounds like either a dodgy connection or a dry joint somewhere

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Has it been exposed to a strong magnet? Does degaussing it fix it?

If not, and only hitting it fixes it, it's likely your CRT is going kaput.

tittat

Reaction score
Has it been exposed to a strong magnet? Does degaussing it fix it?

If not, and only hitting it fixes it, it's likely your CRT is going kaput.

It has nothing to do with Degaussing.
Sometimes the colors restores automatically after working for a while (say 1 hour).So does it has anything to do with the temperature??

TheMan177

Reaction score
You mentioned it goes yellow straight away, does it do the same after the monitor has been left off for a fair while?

If you're confident the connection is fine, try another cable, assuming it is not built into the monitor.

GBH187

Reaction score
it sounds like a broken cable,

that or your urinating on it

Sohail

Reaction score
Perhaps it's just old now and needs to be changed, not many people use CRTs nowadays...

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I have a17" CRT monitor.
I dont know why but now my screen is turning yellow as soon as it switched ON.sometimes when i gave it a smack,the color restores.
I checked the connector pins and found nothing wrong.
Oppps What could be wrong??? Any idea???

I banged up my monitor real bad before this new monitor. Had the same problem as yours. A pale yellow colour screen, used to smack it to restore the colour. Had to give it to a repair guy but didn't do much. In the end had to throw it out.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is similar on my dead system; bad connection at the video card oddly enough. Cept it dyes the screen Cyan (bright blue like this smiley: :lol: ) instead of yellow.

Fixed that by replacing the entire computer. Overkill but it worked :)

If you can get access to another CRT temporarily, try that. If it turns out the new CRT has the same problem, I'd check the video card before sinking $ into a new monitor.

fempower

Reaction score
My monitor did that, then sometimes cyan, and sometimes magenta. Then it stayed pretty much black for a long time (except you could see something on the screen in the dark with a little bit of light coming from the other room), and it would take several times switching on and off to get it readable. Eventually, it just died altogether and I had to dig out an old one. It could die at any time so be prepared and just have another one ready. CRTs are old and cheap, or you could get a cheap LCD. Repairing your current monitor might not be worth the cost.

Doppelgangergang

Reaction score
This happened to my old TV once...

I have a toy mallet (soft ones) and smacking the top usually fixes it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I hate it when CRTs act up, but yet again I hear high pitched noises from CRTs so I don't like those kinds of TVs anyways. Computer monitors, I can't hear a thing from those unless they're cheap. Otherwise, try using another monitor to rule out a hardware issue. If it's not a hardware issue and is a monitor issue, I'd do some slight troubleshooting of the tube if you're experienced in those kinds of things (don't disassemble anything!) or better yet, go treat yourself to a Widescreen LCD display.