Resolved My Domain Does Not Load

garyvill

Reaction score
When I try to open my pages in any browser, they simply don't open. It isn't a white screen - the server simply never responds. Nothing seems amiss with my account in cPanel, but I cannot access my pages.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Your DNS is on server xo4, but it should be on x13. This is one of those problems I don't have access to correct, so I will inform the admin team.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I have corrected the DNS for your domain.

garyvill

Reaction score
I have corrected the DNS for your domain.

Thanks. the server does now respond, but only with a 403 Forbidden error. I've checked file and directory permissions (all 644 and 755) and there's nothing in the .htaccess file, so help says it would be blocked by mod_security.

Last edited:

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
you could try adding this to your .htaccess

#Options +Indexes
DirectoryIndex index.php
IndexIgnore *

i dont need the Options +Indexes in my .htaccess file,
i usually add # in front of it, you can remove the # if needed.
also id assume you have a index.php file to.

garyvill

Reaction score
If @spacresx 's post doesn't fix it, please post the contents of your error log.

Okay, it didn't work. I did not see an .htaccess file, so I created one and added that content (I don't see how to view hidden files in the file manager, so I assumed either they are always visible or there wasn't one). Here is what I'm getting in the error log:

2021-02-06 10:21:49.761209 [INFO] [1323366] [74.245.236.24:57222#APVH_www.garyvilla.x10.mx] Auto Index is disabled for [/home/garyvill/domains/garyvilla.x10.mx/public_html/], access denied
2021-02-06 10:24:04.481240 [INFO] [1323366] [74.245.236.24:57334#APVH_www.garyvilla.x10.mx] Auto Index is disabled for [/home/garyvill/domains/garyvilla.x10.mx/public_html/], access denied
2021-02-06 10:27:23.145136 [INFO] [1323366] [74.245.236.24:57422#APVH_www.garyvilla.x10.mx] Auto Index is disabled for [/home/garyvill/domains/garyvilla.x10.mx/public_html/], access denied

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
@spacresx was on the right track. You need to do one of two things:

1. Create an index file (index.php, index.html, index.htm). This file will show up as the default if a full file name is not given.
2. Turn on auto index. This is usually not what you want and it is a mild level security issue. Create a file named .htaccess and put in the file
Code:
Options +Indexes

Keep in mind that doing #2 will give your users the ability to see any file name you upload, and possibly, the contents of that file. Allowing your users to do this is usually a bad idea. It's safer to create index.html and then make some basic links <a href="file.gif">file.gif</a> rather than expose your innerworkings.

garyvill

Reaction score
@spacresx was on the right track. You need to do one of two things:

1. Create an index file (index.php, index.html, index.htm). This file will show up as the default if a full file name is not given.
2. Turn on auto index. This is usually not what you want and it is a mild level security issue. Create a file named .htaccess and put in the file
Code:
Options +Indexes

Keep in mind that doing #2 will give your users the ability to see any file name you upload, and possibly, the contents of that file. Allowing your users to do this is usually a bad idea. It's safer to create index.html and then make some basic links <a href="file.gif">file.gif</a> rather than expose your innerworkings.

That worked. My index.html file was misnamed. Thanks!

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
The other thing spacresx pointed out is that you can put the DirectoryIndex FILENAME.EXT directive in .htaccess and add additional index type files. For example, you could use "default.html" instead. Not sure if that was holding you up, but you can do anything you want if that is your preference.

garyvill

Reaction score
The other thing spacresx pointed out is that you can put the DirectoryIndex FILENAME.EXT directive in .htaccess and add additional index type files. For example, you could use "default.html" instead. Not sure if that was holding you up, but you can do anything you want if that is your preference.

Thanks. Yeah, I got that, but just correcting the index.html file name was sufficient in this case.