My First Tableless XHTML/CSS Valid Template

arsonistx

Reaction score
Hey all, I had been coding my templates using tables and I have been hearing a lot about tableless templates, so I thought I'd test myself and see if I could do it as well. It's pretty difficult at first but once I got the hang of it, it was really easy. I got it XHTML/CSS valid and cross-browser compatible. I think it looks really nice and I'm pretty proud that I got it done in a short amount of time. Some comments and critiques are always welcome!

Here's the URL to the template:
http://arsonistx.com/new/

Tell me what you think!

Reaction score
I like it but I don't like how everything appears to be floating. There is no structure. You could make a central column that is 760 pixels wide and to the left and right of it you could have a light grey background.

arsonistx

Reaction score
You mean the content areas? As in the main content will have a light background and then the area on the right will have a lighter background?

Reaction score
The content areas should be white. The areas to the right and left should be light grey or any other colour you want but not white, I think light grey would look good.

Cowen

Reaction score
Pretty nice but you need to make it compatible with older versions of internet explorer.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
great man :D

i loved how you did that upper menus :D

Could you teach me *_*?
i've read the css and i figured out that the menu is a same image but when hover or click they got a different position of backgrounds. But what is all about that ie hack i dont got what for?

arsonistx

Reaction score
Hah, well it's pretty simple. Basically you use all div coding and CSS added. The IE hack is just to make it so some older versions of IE will see the site normally.

jensen

Reaction score
Simple clean layout. Good work on the menu bar. Maybe a mouse over would help make people take notice of the colours.

Slothie

Reaction score
Looks pretty much like any 2 column layout :p Then again, there's not much to be creative about nowadays :(

The i.e. hack is probably for i.e only positioning.

zegadmin

Reaction score
Nicely done. The layout is very fluent, eye catching and easy to navigate which are probably the most important things in a web template.

VPmase

Reaction score
Its pretty cool. I like the colors too. But it is kinda plain. You could add some depth and/or maybe a repeating bg.

Mikey

Reaction score
This style looks really cool! Great job and keep up the good work!