Mysql Host Name from third party

citysc44

Reaction score
What would the hostname be if im trying to connect to my msql database from a third party application, so it cannot be localhost.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
On Free Hosting accouts, remote access to x10hosting's mySQL servers from outside servers is blocked with no exceptions.

andylpsx

Reaction score
What if you have paid for your hosting though? I am trying to write a file that will pull information from a database that will hold scores, It's part of an interactive game that we built on the website using JS and Jquery. The main problem is I can not get any sort of PHP script to connect to the mySQL databases. Any help?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Can you explain further? You haven't described anything that would require remote MySQL connections yet. The PHP scripts and the database are normally hosted on the "same" server (they may be physically separate machines, the "sameness" is often virtual). On the off chance that your application and your database are hosted on different servers, both servers would have to allow remote MySQL calls (your application server would have to allow outbound connections; your database server would have to allow inbound connections). You could then use either the IP address of the database server or its fully-qualified name when creating the connection (both would either be available on whatever control panel your db host uses or would be something you'd set up yourself).

andylpsx

Reaction score
Can you explain further? You haven't described anything that would require remote MySQL connections yet. The PHP scripts and the database are normally hosted on the "same" server (they may be physically separate machines, the "sameness" is often virtual). On the off chance that your application and your database are hosted on different servers, both servers would have to allow remote MySQL calls (your application server would have to allow outbound connections; your database server would have to allow inbound connections). You could then use either the IP address of the database server or its fully-qualified name when creating the connection (both would either be available on whatever control panel your db host uses or would be something you'd set up yourself).

I was actually able to get something put together that worked. I did a little more digging around on the forum and found some helpful topics that solved my problem.