MySQL Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdlghost

Reaction score
Remote Database Access Hosts

You can allow external web servers to access your MySQL databases by adding their domain name to the list of hosts that are able to access databases on your web site.

I found this in cPanel, even though I read on the knowledgebase that free accounts are not given remote access. Can someone confirm that I have remote access as a free user?

Also, if I do have remote access, then what is the host name (domain, etc) of the DB server?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Remote access is not allowed on free hosting account, sorry.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
As Corey said, remote SQL is disabled. However I'm sure you could use XML-rpc to set a "serverlet" pf sorts to have your script access that, which makes the db connection. As long as that's not against TOS (Confirmation please?)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
As Corey said, remote SQL is disabled. However I'm sure you could use XML-rpc to set a "serverlet" pf sorts to have your script access that, which makes the db connection. As long as that's not against TOS (Confirmation please?)

I've heard of a few people doing this on X10 without issue and I believe it is OK. I think the problem isn't with remote access specifically, it's about resource usage and security. If I'm correct on my understanding of MySQL, which I think I am, remote SQL has 2 problems:

1. Others can access your databases (MySQL can't discriminate against incoming requests) and brute force their way in.
2. There would be no way to monitor MySQL bandwidth.

Hopefully the staff can confirm this :p

Status
Not open for further replies.