No Marquee! Bad!

dest581

Reaction score
If you want to get a point across, a marquee is a bad idea. The user doesn't get the whole thing for quite a while as it slowly scrolls.

acidburn0520

Reaction score
I find them really annoying, personally. Why don't you just put the message up there, doesn't need to scroll or anything.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I increased the speed some, hopefully that will be better for you ;)

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually like it, though it's a bit slow, but just while it loads, it's faster after that...

Zenax

Reaction score
I have read however that marquees are not very good for designing websites with.

I agree with some people that having it just display the message at the top of the page instead of having it scroll.

But if there must be a marquee in use, then I reccommend speeding it up a bit, as it is bit too slow. They are also a good way of capturing attention, however I do not like using them in my designs. That is my oppinion.

Regards,
Zeanx

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I think it is better now.

swirly

Reaction score
i saw it, knew it was important from the x10 staff so i read it. end of story.

acidburn0520

Reaction score
It still looks too slow, IMO. If you want it to stand out, some bold text with red font would stand out pretty good.

t2t2t

Reaction score
Uhm its already bold:

HTML:
<marquee direction="left" scrolldelay="300">
<b><font color="Blue" size="2">Adfree Hosting requests are disabled until further notice...
</font></b></marquee>

Speed it up please (even more)

acidburn0520

Reaction score
Uhm its already bold:

HTML:
<marquee direction="left" scrolldelay="300">
<b><font color="Blue" size="2">Adfree Hosting requests are disabled until further notice...
</font></b></marquee>
Speed it up please (even more)

I meant ditch the marquee and just put a TR,TD there with some bold and red text.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I mean now its moving liek animation i like a regular marquee

Cubeform

Reaction score
I hate marquees. Why don't you just put a huge <div /> or something with a title of IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING HOSTING, and then the important notice.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Reaction score
OK lets look at it...the marquee in use is designed to get important information across to you. This is to also help prevent users from making pointless threads, particularly when staff are already aware of the problem and users just keep making pointless thread about it and then we get abused when we lock thread over things already discussed. Hate it or like it, consider it a way of knowing what staff may or may not be aware of. So if you use the marquee and the search functions, you should find solutions to all your questions and we hope to see a reduction in pointless threads like "My Hosting is down", well if you used the functions available you wouldn't need to post it. And nine times out of ten, staff are aware of it before you even post your thread.

Using a marquee is considered to be a way of grabbing attention. I know for a fact that one forum I'm a member of had a huge banner with a link to an important notice. Do you realise that it only increased the number of thread on that subject and that the Moderators and Admins got to a point where they just locked any thread relating to that subject and in some cases deleted the thread and banned that user instantly for not searching.

So unless you want to head down that path I believe the marquee will and should stay.

I hope this helps clear up why it is there.

Last edited:

Zenax

Reaction score
Not to be annoying, or start an argument. I feel that the reason of this topic is to discuss the look an feel, as looking through the thread, that is what most of the posts seem to be about.

Yes, I agree it is a good way to get information across, and I am not really that bothered by it. I think the point are trying to get at is that it doesnt present the information in a very nice way, as it is scrolling too slow, and looks a bit dull.

However, I know the marquee is here to stay, and I for one welcome it, as it is a sure good fire way of getting information across quick and easily.

Regards,
Zenax

dest581

Reaction score
Perhaps a marquee on behavior=alternate so that all text stays on the page? I generally scroll down long before the marquee has more than a few letters visible.

acidburn0520

Reaction score
Perhaps a marquee on behavior=alternate so that all text stays on the page? I generally scroll down long before the marquee has more than a few letters visible.

Exactly. You guys aren't going to get any information across to the end-user with the marquee moving at a snail's pace. We have to wait a good 20 seconds just for the entire message to come into view. :rant2:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Exactly. You guys aren't going to get any information across to the end-user with the marquee moving at a snail's pace. We have to wait a good 20 seconds just for the entire message to come into view. :rant2:

Takes 6 seconds for my comp....