no scroll

bunglebrown

Reaction score
I put an overflow-y into my css to prevent unnecessary scrolling but it only registered in firefox (3.0). Anyone know how to stop it in all browsers?

dickey

Reaction score
do you totally don't want scroll bars?

if so put a overflow:none under body in your css.

bunglebrown

Reaction score
none doesn't register but I have already put overflow as hidden and it only works in firefox 3.0. Any suggestions?

driveflexfuel

Reaction score
IE is the worst thing in the world I have tried everything to get rid of the scrollbar in the past and I have only found one call it easy way out.

1. There are some posts out there about how to do it with javascript that are extremely hard to work with but don't always work because people turn off their javascript.

2. Cheat place an <iframe> on your main page and load your information into it. Like so <iframe width="100%" height="100%" scrolling="no" border="0" src="page.html">

I have used #2 on a couple occasions and it works in most browsers, at least all that allow iframe.

bunglebrown

Reaction score
thanks for these suggestions and I agree IE is the worst thing in the world and I hope it gets abolished soon. But for now as it still somehow seems the popular choice for a lot of users we must devise ways to make it function as we wish - all part of the challenge I guess!

1) yes - hard to work and relies on JS being on

2) As you mentioned I-frames don't work in all browsers, in fact I'm not sure it works in some of the major ones.

.. so back to the drawing board - anyone with any inside information on this - now is the time to step up to the plate_

bunglebrown

Reaction score
I used it in a css but it's still there dude..

no for internet explorer ... boo hoo

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
It worked for me on a test page... Do you have a link where I can see your page and check your source?

bunglebrown

Reaction score
it's in a css so you wouldn't be able to see it anyway. Does that mean you are putting it in the main document not a css? Perhaps I could see your test page if so and see what I am doing wrong.

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
Sure, here's the code (I didn't bother uploading it...)

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Test</title>
<style type="text/css">
body {
overflow: hidden;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
OMG CONTENT<br><br><br>
OMG CONTENT<br><br><br>
OMG CONTENT<br><br><br>
OMG CONTENT<br><br><br>
OMG EVEN MORE CONTENT<br><br><br><br><br>
<br><br><br>
</body>
</html>

bunglebrown

Reaction score
ok here's a test page.

I tested yours and it works but when I do the same for mine it doesn't - although I know that in IE the images may be slightly larger than one screen height but that doesn't account for the large space below. I can only get the scroll to disappear in all browsers apart from IE by putting overflow: hidden into my css NOT the main doc.

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
This:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
<body>
Why the body tag?
Also, in my example, the CSS is not in comment (<!-- -->), don't know if it could make a difference.

If not, the next thing you could try is to give an id to your body and make corresponding attributes to the CSS to see if they'll be taken into consideration then.

bunglebrown

Reaction score
ok. . . I removed the <body> tag and the <!-- and now have it at least functioning in other browsers but still have the old problem in Internet Explorer.

Here it is:

test page

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
I guess I don't have anymore idea, unless your Tem.css is cancelling the one you have in your page. I hope you'll be able to find out...

dickey

Reaction score
I think in IE there is an extra property for the body tag.

I think you can try this...

<body scroll="no">

</body>

bunglebrown

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is going to work but if you think so dickey where exactly should I put that?

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
Just add the scroll="no" in your body tag, before your onLoad for example.
I'll be curious to see if it works :)

Last edited:

bunglebrown

Reaction score
I've tried it in several places but all unsuccessfully - the dw prompt also didn't have 'scroll' for any of them which leads me to believe that it can't be done like this. However if dickey has more precise instructions I'm willing to try.

thanks all..

dickey

Reaction score
sorry for the late response.

it is a property for the body tags. But I'm not sure if it still works. last time it works in IE7 and below and it doesn't work in firefox. anyway you don't have to change anything but just add the scroll="no" as in

HTML:
<html>
  <head>
    <title>no scroll bars please</title>
  </head>
  <body scroll="no">
    blah<br>
    blah<br>
    blah<br>
    blah<br>
    blah<br>
    blah<br>
    Contents of your page...  blah<br>
  </body>
</html>

if it doesn't work try changing or removing your doctype. but if you need the doctype, then maybe there is a different solution.

Sorry I cannot test it as I am currently using a Linux System. eg. no IE.

Last edited: