Password Protect

designre

Reaction score
Are there limits to how many directories you can password protect? I have one prior to the change over but I can't set a new password protect on a different directory.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Seems that it is missing from cPanel.
HOW TO:

1. Open/create .htaccess file in directory in question
2. Add lines:

Code:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Igor's Secret Den"
AuthUserFile /home/igor/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

Adjusting AuthName and file path accordingly (ie replace "igor" with your cPanel username)

3. Create a file .htpasswd in /home/igor (replacing "igor" with your cPanel username)

4. Go to http://www.htaccesstools.com/htpasswd-generator/ and generate your username (does not have to be cPanel username) encrypted password pair

5. Copy into .htpasswd , save, and you are ready.

6. To add users, repeat #4&#5. To remove, change passwords, etc -- you can figure that out

7. To remove password protect, remove lines added in #2.

IMPORTANT:

x10 Admins are wary of password protected directories.

They will become curious and look, so don't try to hide violations of the T.O.S. behind password protected directories. You are painting a big target on the contents of such directories.

Also, if you protect your entire site, it violates the TOS that yours should be a "public" site, even if the content itself is in compliance with the T.O.S.

taju

Reaction score
Which type of password is most Better and safe ? digit letter or mix

Bobo

Reaction score
i added a password to my MySQl. Sadly had i had 2 collapse the databae. But for future refrences hwo do i remove the password?