Payment Processing?

kim_foxx

Reaction score
I am starting a small home business and am looking for a way to receive payments. I did some research and a lot of people are saying good things about paypal.
Do you think paypal is good also overall payment system? or is there a better one with a better transaction fee rate?
I want to receive money from credit cards and paypal

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
PayPal is great, but only if your transaction levels are pretty stable. If you're kind of up and down within a small interval, okay, but if your income swings wildly, their anti-fraud mechanism can be pretty severe.

I've used PayPal for many years with no trouble at all. (That includes a period after my stroke a few years back when a large number of my fellow developers paid in a great deal of money—without being asked—to help with expenses. That was a huge jump over my regular sales, but it didn't trigger a lockout. The IBM Lotus software community is a great bunch of people. Just sayin'.) It's certainly convenient for customers, and it's a name they'll know and trust.

The automated anti-fraud measures are usually more of a problem for "startups" than for small or home businesses, since the object of the game with a startup is to go from zero to rich in a relative hurry (if things work out, of course). A sudden large jump in transactions can lock your account, leaving you with frozen assets and with no way for customers to pay. Again, that will only happen if you do something that's going to grow rapidly, and it's there to protect the customer from (potentially) fraudulent action on your part.

If you are planning to grow quickly, you might find Stripe to be a better alternative. They're not available world-wide yet, and they're not nearly as familiar a name to your customers as PayPal, but they are structured around startups (being one themselves) and let you grow much more quickly. They will manually review accounts before locking (if necessary) if the system sees erratic or fast-rising patterns.

JESSAMYN

Reaction score
Yes Paypal is best to transfer/receive your international payments. If you have access to your Paypal account then you can easily manage it with your online banking. Paypal service is not available in all over the world but some specific countries. Check your status and use this method, It's safe and secure way to receive your payments. Complete service guideline you may found on Paypal website.

Last edited by a moderator:

walidno1

Reaction score
I would say Alertpay.com is also an equally good option. It supports over 190 countries. Some countries like mine (Bangladesh) is not included in Paypal's service area.

However, if your market is limited to USA/European countries then Paypal is the best option as it is more accepted among general population.

jayanta1

Banned
Reaction score
Yes you can use pay pal for your business. You can also go for WebPay or Dwolla.

pipi1004

Reaction score
I think you should use Paypal for some reasons:
- Secure Process.
- Huge number of Paypal users.
- Suitable to all kind of credit cards.
- the Fee is acceptable
My Magento Themes site now is using Paypal, too. Our customers can pay via their Paypal account or their Creditcard. Totally satisfy with that.