Personal Photography Website - Opinions Please

coops

Reaction score
Hi, im new here so go easy :lol:

Ive just created my first website to showcase my photography. The site is located here...

http://www.coops.exofire.net

Its coded in XHTML, CSS and PHP. It was created from a plugin in Adobe Lightroom then extensivley modified by myself to customise it to my needs. I have recently automated this with a vbscript to automatically apply the changes to the output from the plugin.

Any comments about the site are welcome :) I used to have lots of problems with it displaying in FireFox but i think ive solved most so any help would be great.

Thanks, Adam.

tittat

Reaction score
Nice clean site.
When i clicked the contact page it just opens the default mail client.Why dont you consider creating a real contact form,its quite easy to do with php.

coops

Reaction score
Nice clean site.
When i clicked the contact page it just opens the default mail client.Why dont you consider creating a real contact form,its quite easy to do with php.
Thats next on my list of things to do actually, any suggestions on how to go about it or templates etc ?

Thanks mate :)

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice site. You could consider putting more content on it, such as a flash slide show of your best work under the recent updates section and maybe rounding the edges of it. Maybe improve the menu bar. Also, you could make title on top of the page a better font. At that size, it makes it look slightly pixelated and blocky. Try Georgia.

coops

Reaction score
Very nice site. You could consider putting more content on it, such as a flash slide show of your best work under the recent updates section and maybe rounding the edges of it. Maybe improve the menu bar. Also, you could make title on top of the page a better font. At that size, it makes it look slightly pixelated and blocky. Try Georgia.

Pixelated ?! Really? Looks fine on my monitor, could you possibly get a screenshot ?

Im in the process of adding much more content to it and i like the idea of the slideshow too, ill look into that.

Thanks mate! :D

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
This is one of the best sites I've ever seen on this forum!
Really lovely photography. I have no suggestions.
9.7/10

RRJJMM

Reaction score
Nice clean site.

Thats next on my list of things to do actually, any suggestions on how to go about it or templates etc ?

Thanks mate :)

I agree about the contact page. I like a contact page with a contact form and an email address (in case the contact form doesn't work).

This is taking the easy way out, but it can get you started and its a good way to learn (I went for it just because it was the easy way ;) ):

PHP Contact Forms

Very nice site. Simple and elegant. If you've only been seriouis about photography since June 08, you have a great start.

Cheers,

relisys

Reaction score
nice site, colours blend nicely, like previous pots have put add more content you have a winner here

kirtik

Reaction score
Overall nice design. Though if you have problems displaying on Firefox you're going about it all wrong ;P

gtdg6

Reaction score
Hey,

Awesome - nicely chosen colors, and generally clean layout - simple, almost minimalist, really nice!

Some features that I thought were missing:

Comment option for individual photographs?
Licensing information for the photographs (Copyright, CC, ...?) - or is the footer applicable for all the content on the site?
Like others have pointed out, a contact form, on the contact page - would be nice.
The font size on the front page could be ever so slightly larger, by default - this is just me - it's really close to the ideal font size that I want, just a tiny bit smaller :)

Have you considered using Coppermine or Gallery to manage your photographs? When your collection gets larger, it may be easier to use one of these tools, they are quite powerful! :)

Great work again, and of course - really unusual and amazing pictures, many of those... Keep at it!

coops

Reaction score
Overall nice design. Though if you have problems displaying on Firefox you're going about it all wrong ;P

Care to explain ? :dunno:

Hey,

Awesome - nicely chosen colors, and generally clean layout - simple, almost minimalist, really nice!

Some features that I thought were missing:

Comment option for individual photographs?
Licensing information for the photographs (Copyright, CC, ...?) - or is the footer applicable for all the content on the site?
Like others have pointed out, a contact form, on the contact page - would be nice.
The font size on the front page could be ever so slightly larger, by default - this is just me - it's really close to the ideal font size that I want, just a tiny bit smaller :)

Have you considered using Coppermine or Gallery to manage your photographs? When your collection gets larger, it may be easier to use one of these tools, they are quite powerful! :)

Great work again, and of course - really unusual and amazing pictures, many of those... Keep at it!

I checked out coppermine but didnt really like the interface tbh, I like to be able to completley customise it.

As for copyright, it is yeah, im tempted to watermark all my images for protection.

Contact form is hopefully comming soon :)

Thanks for the input mate, really apprechiate it, theres another gallery on there now with some more weird photos lol

coops

Reaction score
Made a change to the pages with an image in the header, any opinions ?

kirtik

Reaction score
My comment before was related to how FF3 renders standard code correctly. If it doesn't, the code is wrong. :shifty: