Photo hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandifamily

Reaction score
Well, I have a few questions.

I want to host a photo gallery which is 25gb in size. Can I host them in my free hosting account?

Second, please suggest me a good gallery script that consumes very little CPU and loads fast. And please do tell me some ways regarding this to reduce resource usage.

Just hope that u guys help me in this.
Thanks.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
If all of the photos are completely yours (i.e No copyrighted content) and you ensure that there is absolutely no way that someone else could upload a photo then there shouldn't be any issue, it is unmetered disk space after-all. You should read the AUP very carefully, as every single one of your photos has to comply with the 'Offensive Content' section.
One other thing that'll need an admin to confirm is whether this would constitute 'File Storage' from the ToS, because if it does then all of the rest of this is irrelevant.

Aalso consider how long this will take to upload. Taking the upload speed in your signature, it would take a theoretical minimum of 75 hours of solid uploading to do the 25GB; this is theoretical because you won't be getting your full upload speed and there is also addition overhead such as the fact that you have quite a high latency (Plus it doesn't take into account for the FTP server being busy).

To ensure that you don't get suspended for resources you would have to choose a script that doesn't try to resize or manipulate the photos and also doesn't try to load them all at once into a gallery page. I'm thinking this may even be a case where a custom written script may be the only way to get the efficiency you require.

nandifamily

Reaction score
Well, all my photos comply with the TOS. And I can host it here then.
But what discourages me is the fact that I have to create a custom script to reduce CPU usage. All this just for a family gallery.
I think it would be better if someone suggested me a script. Else I have to look for an external host.
Hope u suggest me a script.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
It may also be possible to upload photos in batches. That way, you reduce the load on the server. A good photo gallery application is Coppermine: http://coppermine-gallery.net/

Batches of 100 would probably be okay-then wait a few minutes, and do the next batch.

nandifamily

Reaction score
I am planning to do my uploads by FTP. That way I can avoid apache and php usage. Is that okay?

nandifamily

Reaction score
Final request: please change my hosting plan to adfree-infinity. I am ready.

nandifamily

Reaction score
THANKS!
Now I will condense all my databases and then start hosting my photo gallery.
You may now close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.